• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mid September Ontario lakers

Any tips?

Usually we are making our trip to NW Ontario about now, but we're headed up on Sept 10 this year.  We've had good luck trolling and vertical jigging fairly deep water, but I'm thinking they'll be up shallower in mid Sept.  Any info on chasing these guys would be appreciated

Don't think your going to have enough cooling by then to drive in the shallows and would be using the same techniques you've been using.   As in my posts in the other thread,  water temps and what the forage are doing is what you want to find.  Your going to find lake trout suspended anytime of year and with cool nights the likelihood goes up of that happening.  Don't know the lake but most have ciscos.  Too early for them to be in the shallow bays to spawn or even to be staging yet but that should be something to consider.     Between water temps and your sounder you should be able to find the lake trout and then put together a best way to go after them.   Sounds like a generic answer,  point is to gather the information the lake is telling you and be prepared with tools to get after them.

You didn't say if your going to be in a canoe or not.  Spoons and lures that can be trolled slow and spoons that can be stalled out and speed up and still catch lake trout.   On my Spring Lake Trout trips into the BWCAW I always bring fathead chubs to tip my spoons.  When that spoon isn't being pulled at an ideal speed and action is too slow, its still fishing because it is acting as a delivery system for the chub.  Just the time between strokes can make the lure fall and rise, tipped with a fathead, its going to get smacked at anytime.  Your not going to portage a bag of minnows in warm temps so pick an alternative like gulp minnow.  If I had to pick one spoon it be a Little Cloe because its versatile.   Now if I was in my boat I'd have the speed dialed in and lure run at a constant speed I would bother with tipping.