• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Silhouette decoys for canada geese

There are some tutorials on cutting and painting silhouette decoys over on Y-tube. Not exactly step by step, but it's enough to get you started. 

I don't know anyone who uses them 100% of the time. They are good used with other decoys. Either full body or shells. They can create the illusion of movement when the flock flys by they will "see and loose" birds as they catch the profile or on edge. It can also add a bunch of birds to your spread without taking up a lot of space. 

I use them quite a bit but mainly mixed into shells/full body's to add numbers. Have had a few hunts with just silo's (~4 dozen) with decent results but only do that when I need to carry into a field a ways. 

On August 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM, minky said:

Just got 14 Big AL Canada goose silhouettes today. They look great and should be a good starting point to start my spread. I hope to pick up some used shell decoys soon ( friends has some for sale).

Only piece of advice I have for using the Big Al's is to be cautious of sun angle. I believe they claim (like many brands) to be shine free but mine definitely had more shine/reflection then the real geese I used at the same time. The big als are good decoys I just try to have them perpendicular to the sun or slightly angle the side facing the sun down a little, which seems to help.

Edited by Storm

Its all I use in the field..20dz Honks in real geese pro2s with flocked heads.. Now Ive added my own double flocked silos. The first bunch didn't get eyes or bill detail. Got in a hurry to test them out..
 So I get the honks with 3dz snows and specks along with this fall 10 dz ducks with blinds all out of the back of 1 truck..

IMG_6248.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

15350464_10153989302866960_4051858659186688794_n.jpg

Edited by Muthagoose