• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Siding questions.

Mnfisher

I want to re side my cabin with a maintenance free siding.  Anyone have any experience with types?  I am considering steel log siding by Tru-Log.  Anyone have any experience with them.   I will look into ABC siding too but I think they install and do not just sell the product.  How about vinyl?  What is the difference between Georgia-Pacific Cedar Specturm propylene siding and Certain-teed vinyl?  (from Menards).  Also looking into the cement fiber board (30 year guarantee and that will do it for me!)  Lots of questions but any advice or experience with this will be very helpful.   Many, many choices.  Thanks.  Jim

Misc June 2016 009.JPG

4 hours ago, Mnfisher said:

Floyd:  Do you think the cement fiberboard is a better option than the steel log siding?

Ole:  I will check out LPSmartside...

Thanks

I can't say "Better" because all types of siding have their place. I would say in the market I work in that the cement and even the mentioned LP to a degree are considered "Premium" products and would have a wider appeal than a log look siding and would more times than not have a higher selling price. 

If you never plan on selling and like the look or if you live in an area where the log look is more desirable then that may be a better choice. 

The steel should be worry free so to speak where you never need to think about paint and if you like the look it's a good choice.

i stayed away from cement board not because it was a bad product just too many horror stories. It either worked great or it didnt and the constant flipping on warranty and install instructions per manufacturer didnt sell me on anything either. I didnt like that nail guns had to be adjusted to not drive nails in all the way in order to not break the boards and each nail had to be hand nailed after. It just added a lot of labor to the install so I went with LP.

I like that the LP had some flex to it and it hugs the wood on the house and there is no gaps under the boards. So in an instance if you had something not framed entirely perfect or slightly off you could still get the LP boards on and it wasn't as noticeable. Where as the cement boards if I looked at other homes with it on not every board was installed close up to the building and some had gaps under them because the boards were so rigid.

I have seen alot of nice beautiful homes with cement board and they look great. But I have also see many that I didnt think look as great or werent holding up.

I replaced vinyl for LP, and there is no comparison. The vinyl is just a terrible product in every aspect I cant think of one practical reason to use it on a home unless you wanted to take the cheap route and didnt plan on staying in the home.

Also wondering if the Georgia-Pacific Polypropylene siding is any better than the vinyl.  I know that it is a type of vinyl but, according to a friend who put it on his home, it's supposed to be a lot thicker and better. 

It boils down to economics.  You can buy vinyl siding for not all that much and end up with a decent looking building.  It will last for probably 15 years or more and all you'll have to do is power wash it every couple of years.  Or you can go all out and get Hardy siding that will last for ever if put on correctly and you'll have to paint it every X years.  The cement board will last a long time but it will be hard to put up as a DIY and will cost multiple times more.  Another thing is that you - or a subsequent owner - can change the color of the cement board but in reality not a vinyl siding.

I have steel siding on my house that  is 20" years old.  About 5-8 years ago the paint started peeling from an area and it has been a major PITA.  I have to use the angle grinder to clean it off, prime it and then paint.  It has only been on the south side so far.  There was a warranty action and I got in on it and collect about 50% of the cost of the siding, no where near enough to redo the house.  I am not complaining because after all I got 20+ years out of it so far.

What you have to consider is how much it will cost, how long you might keep the place, and do those numbers work for you.

Tom did a good job of laying out the initial cost side of the decision. Another thing to look at is home values and siding choices of homes in your town/neighborhood as well as property values.

If you live in a neighborhood dominated by vinyl siding and modest home prices then you would probably not see a justified increase in home value by installing a premium siding. If you live in a neighborhood with average or above prices and a mix of values you could get a nice increase in home and resale value by installing a premium siding.

If you live in a more rural location with few close neighbors then installing premium siding might actually have the best impact on market and resale value because it stands on it's own. But whether that is a factor depends on if and when selling the house might become an issue. A local realtor would be a good source to ask about which products are the ones buyers are looking for in your area as that changes from place to place, 

Stay away from Menard Steel from MM.  It just dont have a good lock. 

Keep your time in mind too. Do you want to paint/stain, or spend time fishing and hunting.  

All sidings need maintenance.   Some more than others.  

Yes CertainTeed .046 and Timbercrest .046 are good products from Menards.  Stay away from the thin stuff. 

And as far as smart side, I know the builders I deal with that have used it,  really liked the product. 

We have .046 vinyl on our house and our cabin, and both have the "shakes" look vinyl on the top gable ends to look a bit fancier. I love it. Install and forget about it. Especially the cabin, last thing I want is any maintenance at all. Only maintenance I have at cabin is a cedar deck, and wish I didn't even have to deal with that...

Nor sure of the brand, but definitely the .046 is way to go. We even have slightly darker colors for vinyl and so need the .046, but I would go .046 even with lighter colors, just a bit thicker and seems sturdier.

Good luck with whatever you end up with! Post some pics after, as your cabin looks cool! :) 

Edited by BoxMN

Thanks a lot for all the replies.   We will probably be going with the LP smartside but I think we'll wait until the spring.  We are going to put two front windows in yet this coming fall.  I will post a picture when we get all done.  Our cabin is not the most "Northwoodsy" looking but has served us well and is only 50' from the water.