• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bright And Early

Bright And Early

My back kicked me out of bed early this morning.

damGMLen.jpg

I was on the water by 6:15AM

The morning started off with a hammer handle pike on a jointed minnow bait with rattles. Not worthy of a photo.

I changed lures and started working the fast water up by the dam.

I had a solid hit and hook up.  The fish did a non-typical head shake.  Pike I have caught do the power runs first and save the head shakes until on the surface later.  I thought trout or maybe a walleye.  The fish felt too powerful to be either.

It did a slow run and I caught a glimpse of its profile.  It was a thick fish and I guessed about a 35 inch pike.......then I saw the white patch on the tail and audibly said: "Holly $hit!" and I got nervous. It did one more head shake and it was gone.

I sat down and composed myself.  I knew with a hook up and middle length battle it would not come back any time soon.

I fished for another 2 hours. I emptied my tackle box to try to get it to come back to no avail. I landed a 18 inch smallie and a 30 inch pike and did not bother with photos because I was truly disappointed in both after having the biggest walleye of my entire life on and losing it.