• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabinets

Moon Lake Refuge

On the advice of others on this site, I bought and learned how to use a Kreg Jig.  Having zero cabinet experience, I was mildly concerned that they wouldn't turn out very well.  I watched a couple videos, and it was extremely simple to make very good cabinets.  It's all in the cuts and clamping.  It was probably about $200-250 to get set up with the jig, clamps, and screws.  

Have used Kreg tools and devices for a long time and you just can't buy anything better.  Nice to do business with a company that really cares about quality. And they'll help you on the phone too! And the person you talk to will not be in an obscure province someplace ten thousand miles away.

The Kreg pocket hole systems are the simplest and quickest way I know of to make good solid joints.

Wanted to custom fit them.  Think the first turned out pretty well.  Little bit of sanding but we finally have some tunes in the shack!  Spacers for the other three doors are just loosely fit right now which is why they aren't spaced right.  Over all really happy and like others have said the kreg jig is the bees knees!  I like more rough construction and am by no means a finesse builder but this thing is great! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Hawg said:

They look great. I only did store bought because by the time the tongue and groove and all the trim was up I was ready for some "easy" in my world.

I can definitely understand that.  I do not have the patience to get cabinets squared up and pretty.  T&G was actually the easy part for me.  Just set my stops on my chop saw and started cutting.  I just wanted a darn radio without leaving the little boombox on the floor so had to get the one built!  Will probably pass on the rest to my dad.  He's about as picky of a perfectionist as you can get so the job is just up his alley!

Nothing to the ceiling on ours.  I ran furring strips at the top and bottom of the cabinet in the wall.  It feels plenty snug and built square it shouldn't leave a gap in the ceiling.  I guess I could put a cross member on the top and screw it in the ceiling too but it doesn't seem necessary that I can tell.

in my pic it dips a little on the right but that's just because I only have a temp screw on that side and its not snug to the ceiling.