• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ever eat green tomatoes?

33 minutes ago, Dotch said:

Hmmm...don't think that's what anyone was advocating there big shooter but whatever. 

I had the same issue boober trying to grow tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets especially in a drier year once they got huge. Was one of the years the wife kept bringing stuff home and I was dumb enough to keep planting it. I'd forget to water the 3 buckets occasionally then remember when they started to look wilted. I marveled at how nice the fruit looked, only to pick them and toss them over the fence. Did a late season herb planting of basil and cilantro in the buckets this year instead so will see how that turns out.

KenW said

Blossom end rot is caused by lack of vitamin C. It comes from inconsistent watering. Either to much or not enough. You can control this by mulching around the plant to keep moisture steady. The plant needs vitamin c and will rob it from the parts it doesn't need to stay alive. That's the fruit.

The tomatoes look to be ripening but they really aren't. They are turning red because the plant is under stress. So don't feel like you are losing out on ripe tomatoes.....you really aren't.

That is what I was referring to.... Perhaps you missed the original post. 

Caused by lack of vitamin C in the plant is which in turn is caused by the inconsistent watering. That's part of why the severe cases taste like yuck.;) Nowhere did he advocate adding vitamin C. Got it?

1 hour ago, Dotch said:

Caused by lack of vitamin C in the plant is which in turn is caused by the inconsistent watering. That's part of why the severe cases taste like yuck. Nowhere did he advocate adding vitamin C. Got it?

Wasn't that Anita bryant? :grin:

1048775_original.jpg

delcecchi  you are correct.....it is calcium not Vitamin C. My bad. The rest I said coincides with what you copied.. I also get blossom end rot on peppers if the plants are under stress from inconsistent water.

Roony.....I also grow Gold Medal. Excellent tasting tomato and it isn't a hybrid. So can keep seeds from year to year. But I don't think it has blossom end rot. That is just a large blossom scar. A lot of the old tomato varieties have those. It is one of the reasons they faded out and new hybrids took their place. They just aren't pretty enough. But the taste beats the new varieties hands down for me. Plus thye aren't early enough for most people.

Edited by KEN W

I had been puzzled about the vitamin c thing, but having gone to IT at the u and not the farm school (as we used to call it when I was a boy, lol all those decades ago) I wasn't sure that it wasn't a new piece of information.

10 hours ago, KEN W said:

Roony.....I also grow Gold Medal. Excellent tasting tomato and it isn't a hybrid. So can keep seeds from year to year. But I don't think it has blossom end rot. That is just a large blossom scar. A lot of the old tomato varieties have those. It is one of the reasons they faded out and new hybrids took their place. They just aren't pretty enough. But the taste beats the new varieties hands down for me. Plus thye aren't early enough for most people.

Ken, I mostly plant the open pollinated varieties. In fact with the exception of one Sun Sugar cherry tomato all my plants are non hybrid. I like the variety in colors you get with these heirlooms and I agree with you on the taste. Some say they are more susceptible to disease but I haven't seen a significant difference. 

I can see the advantages of hybrids in a commercial growing operation but, for gardeners like me, the old heirloom varieties are the ticket. Just makes it more interesting and fun IMHO.

Roony.....I grow

Gold Medal, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black Krim, Amana Orange, Prudens Purple, Taxi, Cherokee Purple, and Winsall which can get up to 2 lbs. They are all good eating. Any you favor?

Ken, these are what I have this year: Gold Medal, Green Zebra, Amish Paste, Amana Orange, German Pink, Mortgage Lifter, Dester, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Mexican Midget, and Sun Sugar. The Sun Sugar is my only hybrid. 

Dang...guess I've never looked there for them. Way on opposite end of town for me, so I go to that store that has them with the big W , that I better not mention, lest the Smurf consult his rule book and start to rail on union stuff...:eek:

140518843051.jpg

7 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Dang...guess I've never looked there for them. Way on opposite end of town for me, so I go to that store that has them with the big W , that I better not mention, lest the Smurf consult his rule book and start to rail on union stuff...:eek:

140518843051.jpg

Your a learning der buckaroo!:grin: I never use to get then there but about 3 years ago a nursery moved out next to them and fleet farm stepped up there game big time. I can get all my seasonings there also.

Good lord,  I didn't know where to post this. Sliced up 5 green tomatoes,  ran them thru some eggs then seasoning.  While I was frying on the grill decided to do some sunnies and some Abts. We might call it a riff raff kind of meal but WOW were those green tomatoes good.