• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Japanese beetles

Dotch

4 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Maybe try psychological warfare.  Find and kill just a few of the invading beetles and then display their bodies impaled on toothpicks around the edge of your garden to stand as a warning to the others.  

You could also consider a propaganda campaign by scattering tiny leaflets around the garden with messages designed to convince the beetles that the real enemy is your next door neighbor. The only problem with this idea is finding someone that knows Japanese well enough to write the leaflet for you.  Plus you'll have to factor in printing costs. 

Neither of these options require buy in from your surrounding neighbors. 

Build a wall.

17 hours ago, 1968 said:

You've met people right? Getting everyone in just my 500m beetle radius to agree, pay, and actually do it would require a firmly enforced city ordinance that 3 rivers parks would also have to adhere too.  As it is, only about 5-10% of people care, as shown by trap numbers seen. Maybe the rest are fine with poisons. Fleetfarm always gets cleaned out of traps so that is somewhat promising. But they are PIA bag traps..

If poisons do the job, I would probably be fine with them myself.      I was merely making a suggestion that your neighborhood could organize.  I guess I was over optimistic about your neighbors.  

51 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

If poisons do the job, I would probably be fine with them myself.      I was merely making a suggestion that your neighborhood could organize.  I guess I was over optimistic about your neighbors.  

I only got as far as one next door neighbor by buying him tanglefoots, that he was gung ho about, only to never empty them. Looks like it will be 6 traps for me next year. Sure poisons work, but I don't want to go nuclear on them and take everything out. I take the current bee situation seriously and minimize any impact on them, as everyone on the planet should consider. I worry about my own toxin exposure also. Indiscriminate killing usually comes with repercussions.. 

You do realize neighbors are made up of people right? And how easy it is to get everyone on the same page? I'm certainly not going door to door.  I wouldn't even answer my front door if I was outside knocking. LOL

Spoke to 2 people at the U of M extension service last week. They are not big fans of the traps. They claim that unless you are at the center of a 3 block radius of people all using the traps you are attracting far more of the beetles than you are killing. They recommend something called milky spore to kill the grubs in the soil.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, Pat K said:

Spoke to 2 people at the U of M extension service last week. They are not big fans of the traps. They claim that unless you are at the center of a 3 block radius of people all using the traps you are attracting far more of the beetles than you are killing. They recommend something called milky spore to kill the grubs in the soil.

Like I said above, back in 2016.....   

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, delcecchi said:

Like I said above, back in 2016.....   

Like when my new cherry tree was completely stripped that year and then only had minor damage since trapping started?  Did the university go 4 traps per yard? Many variables and schools never prepare anyone for all possibilities. My next door neighbor says mouse trapping is futile. Just like jap beetles now, it is a never ending process but I will never stop controlling them to minimize damage. BTW, my lawn has not suffered from my beetle invitations. If it does, then milky spore is next. The cost and tedious application has kept me from doing this thus far. This also does nothing for all my neighbors or 3 Rivers Parks bugs.   

I have thought of a way to bring neighbors on board, but they won't like it. Just buy a bunch of bait packs with snag devices applied and launch them up in to trees a few blocks from home.  Did the U try that???