• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New canine meds cause seizures?

Ufatz

Don't want to alarm anyone. There is now a PILL to replace Frontline,  which most of us use. One of the side effects COULD be seizures in a dog. Please join in if you suspect your dog has had an averse reaction to the replacement pill. Please note: I am not indicting this drug (even the maker suggests this side effect possibility) but just want to hear comments from others. I have a four year old Lab who has had seizures every now and then-last one June 1st this year-and wonder if that places the dog in a more vulnerable situation. The dog has only had TWO seizures in past year so the situation is not critical. Yet.

What is your experience with the new pill?

Quick follow up.  We gave dog one of the new pills and two days later she had a moderate seizure.....maybe two/three minutes and I was able to call her to  me and she responded. Calmed her down, petted and talked to her an it over. The two other seizures she has had in the past year were worse and lasted a big longer.

She is a registered dog from a registered littler but there was a time when she would have been tossed out. She was the runt,  her coat can show yellow tints now and again and she grew to be a solid 70-pounds.  And,  oddly enough,  she just might be the smartest Lab I've ever owned and trust  me,  that is saying a lot because I have had some dogs from outstanding stock.

And of course nobody knows the what or why of these darn seizures. I have a hunch but you know how much that is worth in the scientific community.

We give our Springers, age 10, 4 and 1 1/2 the new oral tick meds. This was the first year we've given. Do a great job on ticks, no ticks on any of the dogs. My 4 year old also has had seizures, but only in the field while hunting, never had one while at home, so I don't believe it's any of the tick products. I've done a lot of research about seizures and they can be very hard to even impossible to find the causes, my wife works as a veterinary tech so she has access to Drs. And other research, even the people who study seizure in dogs aren't sure of some of the triggers and cause. One thing we have started is to give B vitamins which are good for the brain. You can also Google canine epilepsy, that's where we found info about the B vitamin regimen.

Edited by ESSGuy
Added info

Good comments. Thanks fellas.Of all the dogs we have owned this is the first Lab to suffer the seizures. My wife likes Toy Pomeranian's and I recall at least one of them with the problem. I have done a lot of reading on the subject at various times and it is a maddening affliction. Have had several pals who owned dogs with the problem, Goldens, WHP's,GShort Hairs etc. At this point, with this little girl, if we stay at one or two a year we can cope although it can of course get worse. Either way we'll follow the meds routine and do our best. Brother had a nice Golden who faced the problem for years and made it to an old age.

We were mainly wondering about the apparent coincidence with Abby and the mild seizure so soon after getting the pill.

Labs are not well known for seizures.  Some dogs like border collies are prone to it.  If my lab started seizing after the lyme med, I would switch without a doubt.  Especially since its one of the side effects.  Most dogs do not seize from the meds but a small % do.   there are many other tick meds out there.  Try and see if the seizures stop.  

To end this thread I just want to thank the folks who responded. I did not want to unduly alarm anyone about the new pills. And B'dweller, Labs are well know for suffering the malady. I personally believe it is because TOO many people have bred the Bjesus out of the breed for too long,  but that is just my observation.

Happy to hear the new meds are not a problem.