• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Flies

JBMasterAngler

How do I get rid of them? :mad: They are horrible in my neighborhood, and more importantly, in my yard. I was trying to clean up the aftermath of the storm the other day, and I couldn't handle it anymore. Are fly traps the way to go? I also looked up there are some plants (lavender, basil, etc) I can plant in the yard that help repel flies, and mosquitos. So, who has had success with what? 

my experience is the fly traps work on black flies. deer flies typically hang in long grass/weeds! got any of that nearby? only thing I have heard people use is this fly tape. its sticky on both sides, once they land on it they stick. not sure it work in your case.

good luck man.............i'd sure be interested in what others do!!!!!!!!!! they sure are a total pain in the...

Indeed there was. Scroll down to "Insects and relatives that bite or sting" for the deer fly info. Also lots of other stuff involving pestilence of all kinds.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/current/

Just cut some thistles in a wooded pasture a few hours ago. Took one hand to run the sickle and other to swat deer flies. They are insane right now.

I've also found them to be much, much worse this year than normal.  One option is to get a cheap bug net for over your head. Looks kind of dorky, and they will still try to bite arms/legs/exposed skin, but it keeps them off your neck and face, which helps, at least for me.

Another option is to check Amazon for "Trednot deer fly strips." They work pretty well, too, and if you buy them in bulk, they're pretty cheap. 

A few years ago someone posted a picture of their young daughter with a hat on, there was something like popcicle sticks attached to the hat pointing up and had fly tape attached to the sticks forming a circle above the hat.  It had lots of deer flies stuck to it and he said that there was no better satisfaction than hearing them buzz stuck to the tape. They tend to try landing on the top of their victims to start with.

14 hours ago, fishersofmen said:

I have come to the conclusion that deer flies are possessed by Satan. Why are these horrible creatures in existence?

Other than providing frogs, toads, spiders, snakes and birds something to eat, they make good sunfish bait. Of course, a booger can make good sunfish bait when they're biting! :lol: