• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garden ripening

snagfinder

The tomato sauce that we do at home is pretty simple.  We just cut up a bunch of tomatoes and put them in a roasting pan.  We then add onion, garlic, basil, salt and any other herbs to taste.  We also usually had some carrot and maybe some red pepper chunks as well.  (quantity of everything is loose and can vary)  Then we roast it in the oven until the tomatoes are broken down and the veggies are soft.  Then it all goes into blender.  The thickness of the sauce will vary depending on the variety of tomato you use and how much of all the other veggies you use.  We've had good luck with a pretty thick and flavorful sauce.  

We divide it into plastic freezer bags and then lay them flat to freeze.  One bag = One meal worth of sauce.  Works great for having fresh sauce year round.

56 minutes ago, snagfinder said:

Tomatos turning red, peppers getting big anyone know a good spaghetti sauce recipe that doesnt have a million ingredients that is thick and good. Id go in the cooking  and recipe spot but that gets off track to quick .

yea we may occasionally get off track a bit, but we have a little fun while we are at it but i'd venture to bet you'd get a good reciepe should someone have one!!!!!:lol:

On 7/11/2016 at 2:01 PM, snagfinder said:

Tomatos turning red, peppers getting big anyone know a good spaghetti sauce recipe that doesnt have a million ingredients that is thick and good. Id go in the cooking  and recipe spot but that gets off track to quick .

What a wonderful issue to have.  I am a ways away from ripe tomatoes but I do believe I have a great crop coming.  We got dumped on with 4 inches of rain over the last week but not nearly what the stretch from Brainerd to northern Wisconsin got last night.

My daughter picked our first 2 ripe tomatoes last night and then promptly ate both of them.  Looks like we've got a good crop on the vine right now.  Cucumbers are also flowering like crazy with the small cucumbers starting to form.  Carrots are starting to get a little size to them as well.

I started everything early. My kohlrabi are done and eaten. Peas are done and eaten. Tomatos are getting close will have alot soon. Bell peppers are big and ready. Never had a jalapeno crop like this gonna have to try to make pepper jelly. Would have sweet corn in about a week but what the coons havent taste tested the deer have.

Just picked the first salad/snacking tomatoes last night. Not bad considering they weren't planted until May 22nd. The Sugar Bush plant should keep 'em coming and the other varieties are right on their heels. Very sweet! :)

I picked a black prince, a roma, some type of hybrid orange tomato, and a dozen or so yellow cherries over the last few days. These were all planted the first weekend in May. 

For my tomato sauce I put all different kinds of fruit in a large pot, add fresh basil, fresh oregano, onion, a habenero pepper or two, a little canning salt, a little sugar. Boil and stir until everything is soft, mix it right in the pot with a hand blender until smooth, heat on low to get it to the desired consistency, place in quart jars, and then into the water bath canner for 20 min. We just used the last jar from 2015. 

We use this sauce for all our spaghetti for the year, as well as lasagna. We simply heat it for a delicious tomato soup, use as a bloody Mary mix, or for straight up drinking.

I plan to put up at least 40-50 quarts this season. I love the texture of all the blended skins and seeds in my sauce, but I know some people prefer to strain it. 

zuchinni, yea not so much.........but heck iffin you were close enough i'd take those cukes. I gotz 10 2 gallon jugs I 'd like to fill!!!!!!!

got an idea for ya snagfinder, its what I do with extra cukes. wash and slice them the long way with the skin on. if you have big enough jars, that my reference to the 2 gal jug. stuff sliced onion 4-6 pieces of garlic and dill to your liking in the jar.

the brine is 2 qts water, 2 cups vinegar......I add a bit more, and a 1/2 cup pickling salt. stir up and pour over cukes. ready in 3 weeks. awesome eats and a great bloody mary pickle!!!!!!!!