• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How are pheasant broods looking?

I live around the Willmar area and before all this rain, I would say that the population was looking very good.  But not sure after the rains, we'll have to see.  I did talk to a guy that just this week saw a brood on very little chicks that could just fly, maybe a second hatch or something? 

Looking real good around the Worthington area. Seeing quite of few broods from 2-3 per brood up to eleven in one brood. Different sized chicks also. Even had a hen turkey with four poults run across the gravel road in front of me this morning. That's about as rare as it gets around here.

If they are having a second brood, that means the first wasn't successful. I was hoping they would have good conditions early spring, which they seemed decent, but now I am getting worried if the second broods will be wiped out by the rain. It seems we are dry for a couple weeks then we get inches of rain all at once.

MN Pheasant survey numbers in and nearly 30% higher than last year. Kind of surprises me with all the dang rain we have had, but I like it. Last year I saw a decent number of birds so hopefully it will be better.

The only area where numbers declined was the SE corner.