• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wondering if someone can tell me what these berries are growing around the yard. The red ones look like wild raspberries to me but want to be sure before munching on them. 

The baby birds I just posted for fun, ran across them while wondering around the yard. Found a dead black bird not to far away so might get rough for these guys.

20160704_191229.jpg

20160704_191229.jpg

20160704_191304.jpg

20160704_191736.jpg

Edited by jbell1981

19 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

Wondering if someone can tell me what these berries are growing around the yard. The red ones look like wild raspberries to me but want to be sure before munching on them. 

The baby birds I just posted for fun, ran across them while wondering around the yard. Found a dead black bird not to far away so might get rough for these guys.

20160704_191229.jpg

20160704_191229.jpg

20160704_191304.jpg

20160704_191736.jpg

First two are raspberries.  

Oh del you old burnt out you! ;):lol:

I would concur with Dr. Reb's analysis and add that as kids we were always told that these berries were poisonous. Probably a good thing we were told that or we surely would have tried to eat them.  Apparently they are mildly toxic to humans but not to birds. Also a little known fact that they are called "twin-berry" by some for obvious reasons. Possibly by the ancient Mesopotamian's. :) 

I also concur with yer statement, Dr. Dotch. I had always heard they were poisonous too, and that birds ate them with relish, (not as in "relish" on a hot dog, smurfy) so that they could fly over and poop purple on yer silver or light colored car. Considering yer statement about the ancient Mesopotamian's, Dotch, Let's break down that word: we all know meso means "middle" or "intermediate", "pot" is self-explanatory and "amain's" would refer to a group or faction thereof. In other words, if we apply this to Del, we come to a description literally meaning "middle-aged pot-using groupie". Consider that while I  toss a platter on of the Amboy Dukes.  

Dig Mr. Nugent there on the right, playing some licks on that Gibson Byrdland.... and please pass those berries.   hippie4-smiley.gif

Have you got those mixed up with buckthorn which wasn't around when I was young?  We used to throw those red berries at the girls when I was young... Eating them never entered my mind.