• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Up/Down Motor on Outboard not working - tips?

pjwalleye1

I have a mid 90s Force 70 HP outboard that's not been used in two years on a pontoon boat.  While getting the boat cleaned out, etc. I've been able to turn the motor over/start it however the motor is in the up position and when I attempt to use the up/down buttons on the throttle to lower the engine, the up/down motor doesn't lower the engine.  I do hear a slight 'click' when I hit the "lower" button however that's it.  Any suggestions on getting the motor to lower?  Thanks.

There are two relays in the front of the motor (about an 1-1/2" X 1-1/2") under the cowling.  You should be able to remove them and take them to Napa or O'Reily's and replace them cheap.  You can also swap them out to raise or lower, depending on which one is bad.  I don't believe there is a manual release to lower or raise the motor. 

Easy and cheap fix.

Hope this helps.

PK3 - thanks for the tip. 

I replaced the two relays with new ones but same result - when I hit the trim up or trim down button, each respective relay clicks but no lifting or lowering occurs.  I also checked for fuses- there's one on the engine which is in good shape.  Is there a fuse or breaker on the trim motor?  Would be surprised that the trim motor is bad given few hours on the motor but I'm not a great motor mind.

Thanks.

Seriously....what shape is your battery in? Low voltage or a bad cell will do this also. Try a battery swap to start...then follow this:

When experiencing problems with your power Trim and Tilt System, there are a few easy ways to diagnose just what the problem is. Power Trim Motors generally come in two styles. All use a 12 volt D/C reversing Motor. Some Motors have a two wire connection and some Motors have a three wire connection. All power Trim and Tilt Motors come with one blue wire and one green wire. The three wire power Trim and Tilt Motors have an additional Black wire as well. The Black wire works as a Ground on power Trim and Tilt Motors that don’t ground thru the case. When the blue wire is energized it raises the Motor or drive unit up. When the green wire is energized it lowers the drive unit down.

When having a problem first you need to determine whether your problem is with the power Trim and Tilt Motor or the Hydraulic Pump Valve Body assembly. If you attempt to raise the Motor or sterndrive to the up or down position and nothing happens, first check to make sure your Battery is charged and switched on if your boat is equipped with a Battery switch. If you hear a slight clicking noise you have power coming from the switch to the solenoid. The next step is to go directly to the Motor and test it there. First, disconnect the power Trim and Tilt Motor.

Using a jumper wire, apply 12 volts directly to the blue wire if your engine or drive unit is in the down position. It should raise up at this time. If it is in the up position, apply power to the green wire reversing the Motor and lowering the unit. If the Motor runs, you may have a problem with a solenoid or lack of voltage coming from the power Trim and Tilt switch to the solenoid.

If your power Trim Tilt Motor won’t run after this procedure it is time to replace it. 

On 6/30/2016 at 5:49 PM, pjwalleye1 said:

PK3 - thanks for the tip. 

I replaced the two relays with new ones but same result - when I hit the trim up or trim down button, each respective relay clicks but no lifting or lowering occurs.  I also checked for fuses- there's one on the engine which is in good shape.  Is there a fuse or breaker on the trim motor?  Would be surprised that the trim motor is bad given few hours on the motor but I'm not a great motor mind.

Thanks.

By chance have you checked to make sure the motor tilt lock is off and not holding it up?

820527.jpg

Have you tried bypassed the relays?  Both relays have to be connected to properly check to see if bypassing will work.  Also, both relays have to be connected at the same time to verify if working properly.

Thanks for everyone's input.  After replacing the relays I followed the flow from RebelISS and that ultimately determined that the trim motor is indeed bad.  In process of replacing it so thank you all for your great input!!