• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep weedline Jigs

Craigums

What jigs are you guys throwing in deep water? I'm trying to get away from the typical Jigworm/Dropshot/Grubworm a little bit. I've had a little luck with a 3/4oz grass jig (bullet shaped head). I've tried going lighter but it's hard for me to feel what the jig is doing especially when the wind is blowing. Chigger Craw trailer is usually what I've got on the back

I typically throw a 1/2oz South Paw on the weed edges with a dbomb or paca craw as a trailer. If the weeds are super thick I will tie on a 1oz OutKast double weed guard RTX jig. Also if they are really smacking a jigworm that falls at a slow rate I will tie on a 3/8oz jig that falls a little slower. 

This year I've mostly used outkast juice jig, not the greatest "grass" jig as far as punching goes, but great for weed line fish, I usually use 3/8 or 1/2 ounce. Some of the lakes I fish only get weedlines out to 8-10 feet, so deep is relative. 

23 minutes ago, Todd S. said:

Some of the lakes I fish only get weedlines out to 8-10 feet, so deep is relative. 

Thats a good point, Ive been in 14'-16'. Tried using a 3/8 and 1/2oz jig and I struggled to "feel" it.

I've been using the one you mentioned, a 3/4 Purple Grass Jig, with a Havoc Grass Pig for Trailer. Guess it could be called an oversized swim jig or a skirted swim bait. Haven't fished it real deep, but fished it 8-10ft over weeds . Works good for that in between water. I'm sure it works deeper as well.

I've also dropped down to 1/2 oz also sometimes. A 3/4 NS FlipnSwim also works good. I'm not that smart to come up with this combo myself, but read about it from some of RK's posts. :)

For whatever reason, I've gotten away from skirted jigs.  I've been using t-rigged plastics (havoc pitboss or crawfatty), pegged instead. I'm wondering if and when a jig has an advantage over a t-rigged creature bait.   I plan on getting some bullet sinkers with a collar to put a skirt on, like the skirted bullet sinkers from gopher tackle, from 20 some years ago that never caught on.   Now they're called "punch skirts"  or "slip jigs and sell for nearly 10 bucks a pop.   BPS sells sinker only for 3 for $2.

T-rigs can burn through plastic though and makes me think about using the old pig and jig - skirted jig and pork chunk.   Pork chunk lasts forever or until you put it back in the jar, whichever comes first :grin:.

8 hours ago, rascal23 said:

I'm wondering if and when a jig has an advantage over a t-rigged creature bait.

^^^^ That is something I go back and forth on. In my head a Jig is just a better big fish bait, when the fish are biting. 

Edited by Craigums

Never liked the Grass jigs with straight hook eyes for casting. They're great for close range where you're mainly setting straight up or nearly so, but on long casts, I've had some issues hooking fish.

Far and away my favorite weedline jig is the Southpaw from North Star. Great head design, great hook, great color selection. They're gradually replacing most other jigs. My other favorite has always been the Northland Jungle Jig, but they discontinued my favorite color :(

I tend to fish jigs fairly aggressively, especially in clear water, so I use a lot of 1/2 and 5/8 oz jigs. I'll go up to 3/4 oz if I'm fishing really deep - 18-22 ft say.  I really fish them like vertical reaction baits most of the time. I want something that sinks fast so fish don't get a good look at it, and tend to use colors that blend in with the background like watermelon and green pumpkin. In darker water where weedlines are shallower and I don't want the thing to move as sharply, I go lighter - 3/8 oz. Bet I could make a pretty good living on most water with a 1/2 oz though.

As for jigs vs. plastics - they're just different. I think jigs are a more consistent big fish bait, and they're easier to cover water with efficiently I think. That said, swimming a 10" worm during mid summer can get you into some pretty big fish too. 

Craigums, I really like the Strike King Hack Attack jig with a Rage Craw. It is a great grass jig based on head design (not a punching jig). Strike King designed it for grass. Hackney uses it as a combo swim jig as well. The rage craw is my favorite trailer... hard to beat the action on it. I bite off the last section to make it more compact. Had some good success in a bass tournament down in Iowa this weekend with it. Came in 7 out of 18 boats.