• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strawberry o d time

13 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I had a cherry tree.... Robins loved it and they would eat cherries greener than I would.  Picking time would be mostly pits and stems, the flesh having been robin food.

We lose some to the birds but as long as I go out and pick everyday while they are ripening we are able to get plenty.  Not sure if its the type of cherry (Northstar Cherry) or just our location but bird loss is pretty minimal.  Biggest issue for us is if we get a bad wind at the wrong time when the cherries are first developing.  Last year we had the bulk of the cherries blow off the tree while still green so we got very few.

The family went out strawberry picking over the weekend and came home with 10 pounds that needed to be used.  Of course we are eating a fair share fresh or cut up on ice cream or shortcakes.  I also made a batch of strawberry rhubarb sorbet last night.  As luck would have it I "accidentally" made too much of the sorbet mix (strawberries, rhubarb simple syrup, and a couple tablespoons of blueberry vodka to help prevent freezing).  I took the left over mix put it back into the blender and added ice cubes and copious amounts of rum to make one (ok maybe it was 2) heck of a good daiquiri.

The rest got cut up today and some are going to be made into a different sorbet (not sure yet what I'll mix it with) and the rest are going to be made into fruit leather for my daughter to snack on, and perhaps I'll take a bite or 2 as well.

Normally we would can a bunch for jam but we already have a few jars left from last year, we have a bunch of the cherry jam we just made, and we still have plans to do raspberry jam which we ran out of.