• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing back deck and livewell - questions

nbadger23

I need to remove the back deck on my 2001 Sylvan 1600 explorer and also the livewell to do some maintenance.  The problem I'm running into is that once I get the normal phillips head screws out there are still remaining connectors that I don't know what to use to disconnect. They are visible on the middle metal panel that goes from the floor to the back deck and then on the metal to metal connection on the live well.  I need to get the floor panel off above the gas tank to take a look at the fuel gauge sensor and also to try to drain some old gas but w/o being able to get this piece off I can't remove it.

Here's a few pictures.  I've tried an allen wrench and that didn't work. I've googled everything I can think of to try to find out what it is but no luck. Unfortunately I don't have any sort of manual nor can I find one online either.  I'm guessing it's an easy answer but at this point I will take any help I can get.

20160613_185202.jpg

20160613_185132.jpg

they look like pop rivets . You drill the head off. They are not reusable . You need a rivet gun to reinstall (cheap $20 or so maybe less ) Drill with a small bit (1\8inch) at the center where you see the hole untill the head comes off then use a punch to knock the nail out . Be sure to use aluminum rivets to reinstall .

Thanks Cheers.. I had looked at the possibility they were rivets but went away from that. It makes me wonder if I'm taking the back deck apart correctly if I'd have to take rivets off that have to be replaced. Do you think that makes sense or should I be able to unscrew that entire back deck and lift it off with that piece w/o taking the rivets out?  

If I can get that middle piece out, I can get the piece on the floor above the gas tank out and get to what I need so I don't have to take the entire back deck off but just wasn't sure of the path of least resistance. 

I have no way of knowing without seeing the boat . Looks like the top crossmember would have to come off. Is it bolted or riveted ? . Most boats use rivets  . Rivets  are easy to do

21 hours ago, nbadger23 said:

I need to remove the back deck on my 2001 Sylvan 1600 explorer and also the livewell to do some maintenance.  The problem I'm running into is that once I get the normal phillips head screws out there are still remaining connectors that I don't know what to use to disconnect. They are visible on the middle metal panel that goes from the floor to the back deck and then on the metal to metal connection on the live well.  I need to get the floor panel off above the gas tank to take a look at the fuel gauge sensor and also to try to drain some old gas but w/o being able to get this piece off I can't remove it.

Here's a few pictures.  I've tried an allen wrench and that didn't work. I've googled everything I can think of to try to find out what it is but no luck. Unfortunately I don't have any sort of manual nor can I find one online either.  I'm guessing it's an easy answer but at this point I will take any help I can get.

20160613_185202.jpg

20160613_185132.jpg

In that spot which is just a support I would just get some stainless steel screws and put them back in. Just check to see where your gas tank ends so you don't use to long of them.

Best and most fun and cool sounding tool in the world.... Pneumatic (air) pop riveter!!! :) 

Get the blue one from Northern Tool and be the envy of your neighbors, for about $60. Coolest tool I ever bought, and I still use it all the time as we modify our boat continually. Redid a whole pontoon with it, took the panels of the rails and it was so fun putting it back on with this gun :)

Make sure you match the rivets with the drill bit and they go in easier than they come off, which is easy. I think we find most on boats are 3/16th but I can't quite recall now. You can also get waterproof aluminum pop rivets which are cool if you need to fill a hole below the waterline. I found them at amazon, could not find any locally.