• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you do to your Camper/RV this week?

Big Dave2

I have to make the first trip of the year by myself to dispose of any unlucky freinds that made it in over the winter.  6 cans of pest control spray foam and I think I filled all the hole but I'm sure the little monsters have found another way in by now.  I also have poison everywhere so first trip up will also be without the pups.  Took pics of all the poison to make sure I remembered it all though so should be quick.

I've done a few things to the old camper in the last few weeks.

First I replaced the old crank jack with a new electric jack.

camper jack.jpg

Then the cooling unit on my fridge went out so I ended up just replacing the 6 cu. ft 2 way fridge with a 9.9 cu. ft. residential electric only fridge.

camper fridge electric.jpg

Next order of business is new tires. Blew one out on the way to Zumbro Falls this weekend :mad:

Pretty soon everything on this camper will be brand new! :P

Last weekend spent some time re-sealing a small seam leak on a trim edge. Found out the owner before us had a leak on the same trim edge spot and left out a screw!! :angry:

Also washed down the canopy and the ever reoccurring black streaks around the roof edge.

This weekend may go back and clean out and reseal a few other areas the passed own made a mess of sealing with sillycone! :(

Using Butyl rubber this time as silicone can be pulled right off after a few years.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Last weekend spent some time re-sealing a small seam leak on a trim edge. Found out the owner before us had a leak on the same trim edge spot and left out a screw!! :angry:

Also washed down the canopy and the ever reoccurring black streaks around the roof edge.

This weekend may go back and clean out and reseal a few other areas the passed own made a mess of sealing with sillycone! :(

Using Butyl rubber this time as silicone can be pulled right off after a few years.

Too bad the previous owner didn't know what they were doing. Never, ever use silicone on a rubber camper roof. I learned that the hard way many years ago.....

At least you have a good reason to have to go to the camper this weekend :)

How long have you been doing the seasonal thing?

6 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Too bad the previous owner didn't know what they were doing. Never, ever use silicone on a rubber camper roof. I learned that the hard way many years ago.....

At least you have a good reason to have to go to the camper this weekend :)

How long have you been doing the seasonal thing?

5 years at one campground until they went private and wanted 60-70g's per lot with one-just-like-silly-me-o-en fees which were about what we were paying yearly already on top of that! :angry:

12 years where we are now with way bigger lots.

6 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

5 years at one campground until they went private and wanted 60-70g's per lot with one-just-like-silly-me-o-en fees which were about what we were paying yearly already on top of that! :angry:

12 years where we are now with way bigger lots.

My wife and I are starting to think about parking ours someplace. I'm tired of trying to get reservations and having to hook and unhook and all that goes with a weekend of camping. Plus I would like to have the toys available like 4-wheeler and boat.

We are looking at places up north. We know several people and like the Emily-Outing-Remer-Hill City area. I think you a further west, right? Brainerd area maybe?

Edited by Big Dave2

We are on Lake Edward at WildWoods RV resort just north of Merrifield, MN. It is nice just driving up, unlocking it, playing for the weekend and locker her back up and leaving the frig on. :)

They let Atheists and Jesus freaks all in! :lol:

5 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

We are on Lake Edward at WildWoods RV resort just north of Merrifield, MN. It is nice just driving up, unlocking it, playing for the weekend and locker her back up and leaving the frig on. :)

They let Atheists and Jesus freaks all in! :lol:

Any ATV trails down there?

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

We're definitely checking out our options in a couple of areas we like but I'm not sure if it will happen as early as next year or not.

If you are start talking to the owners of the campgrounds now about letting you know when there may be an opening. Ours fills up during the summer but at the end of the season the owners will start hearing about those that will be moving out at the end of the year. Lot's of relatives will tell their families as soon as they hear someone is moving out. Good Luck.

Yep, I've contacted 4 or 5 campgrounds in the last couple of days. One has gotten back to me, the rest have not yet.

We will be up that way over the Labor Day holiday so we can check out a few campgrounds while we are there. We actually checked out 2 or 3 while we were up there last year at that time.

I'm not too sure if we are ready to take the plunge yet or not but we are close.

We had our permy site for 14 years. It was a blast the first 10. Neighbors changed, other things changed. We got tired of it and finally had enough. It was getting so with the yearly fee we felt we needed to be out there every weekend.

I still fish the lake in the fall but don't miss it. Now we can go to other places to do something different. With that said I'd do it all over again.

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

We had our permy site for 14 years. It was a blast the first 10. Neighbors changed, other things changed. We got tired of it and finally had enough. It was getting so with the yearly fee we felt we needed to be out there every weekend.

I still fish the lake in the fall but don't miss it. Now we can go to other places to do something different. With that said I'd do it all over again.

All good things come to an end sometime. :(

At some point we realized that the cabin that we always wanted just was not going to happen for us. So, for less then just the taxes and cost of up keep on a cabin we have a park model camper where we can have family and grand kids come up and go fishing any weekend we want. Plus lots to do around the Brainerd area if you don't want to sit in the camper on a rainy day. Last weekend we ran up to Walker to Reeds and pick a gal of Blue Berries on the way. :)

Edited by leech~~

well it didnt help our family has a cabin up in itasca county and have had it since 1965. the camper took time away from there. granted the camper was 30 minutes from home the cabin 3 1/2 hours but there is agood city block of woods between us and the neighbor.............and we have noone on the other side. i dont mind a little socoilizing but that peace and quiet is right up my ally.

so leech does your park charge extra for additional company not your immediate family? the campground we were at did, but they didnt enforce it fairly. some were forced some got to slide. oh and there were alot of other issues i got fed up with!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, smurfy said:

so leech does your park charge extra for additional company not your immediate family? the campground we were at did, but they didnt enforce it fairly. some were forced some got to slide. oh and there were alot of other issues i got fed up with!!!!!!!

Pretty much the same on enforcing some of the rules. The 4th was a Zoo and I'm sure the managers head was spinning trying to keep track of who all the kids running belonged too! :lol:

I have definitely come to the conclusion that on those big 3 day holiday weekends its way more quiet and peaceful if i stay put at home.................even up north. hey i can have a fire and have cocktails at home too!!!!!!!:P:grin: the weekends to go are weekends prior to and after them big weekends!!!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I have definitely come to the conclusion that on those big 3 day holiday weekends its way more quiet and peaceful if i stay put at home.................even up north. hey i can have a fire and have cocktails at home too!!!!!!!:P:grin: the weekends to go are weekends prior to and after them big weekends!!!!!!!!!!

Well in the 12 years we have been at this campground it went from mostly old folks where if your Walker wheel was squeaking someone would run out with a can of WD-40 to stop the noise! :angry:

Now a lot of young families with kids. Most of the year it's not to bad, but the Holidays can get a little crazy with the golf carts and beer flowing! ;)  I don't let folks bother me much, I have two young grandsons so their in the mix! :P

6 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Well in the 12 years we have been at this campground it went from mostly old folks where if your Walker wheel was squeaking someone would run out with a can of WD-40 to stop the noise! :angry:

Now a lot of young families with kids. Most of the year it's not to bad, but the Holidays can get a little crazy with the golf carts and beer flowing! ;)  I don't let folks bother me much, I have two young grandsons so their in the mix! :P

I have noticed that trend at seasonal campgrounds too. 20 some years ago when we started camping seasonal sites used to be full of folks 60+ but now it seems that there are a lot of young families in these sites. 

The other trend I noticed is that lot rental prices have gone through the roof since then. 

so leech, does your campground have festivities functions for there permy site people? ours had a big fish fry on the fourth with a little parade. they do a golfing event to. i heard they finally got some decent playground equipment for kids. there theory was theres fishing.

they used to do a pot luck with a theme german, mexican..bleah blah.....but that required work and planning from the owners. took away from the beer drinking! 

2 minutes ago, smurfy said:

so leech, does your campground have festivities functions for there permy site people? ours had a big fish fry on the fourth with a little parade. they do a golfing event to. i heard they finally got some decent playground equipment for kids. there theory was theres fishing.

they used to do a pot luck with a theme german, mexican..bleah blah.....but that required work and planning from the owners. took away from the beer drinking! 

I sure like the sites your old campground kept open for weekenders. Best spots in the campground if you ask me.

Camper Old Wagon.jpg

46 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Stayed home for the 4th this year, was amazed how quiet the cities seemed to be.

"Is everybody up north?"

38 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Nothing the campground puts on but folks do plan a potluck or a Beer-bag tourney a few times a summer!

18740068_10212793358858532_7107183372811544288_n.jpg

Edited by leech~~