• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tried some new rubs.....

I make my own rubs, but I needed something different. Think I've tried most of them out there, some are good, others mostly salt and garlic it seems. BUT.....I bought two a few weeks ago that I have to give the "thumbs up" to...Weber Smokey Mesquite and Weber Carne Asada. The mesquite went on my CSR's last week, danged good stuff! Even better mixed with Reb's Rib Rub. Put the Carne Asada on some thick pig chops....this stuff is great. I'm hooked. Can taste the lime and other spices. I recommend them, guys! For what that's worth! :) 

31t9uSH9fnL.jpg           50344655?wid=480&hei=480

I've got a couple Cajun rubs, don't care for them. The Carne Asada was really good...like the lime in it. It would be great on pig chops like I had paired with some mexican beans and rice. :P

43 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

havnt made chops for probably 15 years.  blade steaks. :)    gotta have lemon pepper and cajon powder from mc cormicks on them.   not crazy salty. 

Ya know, I do not really like that McCormick's Cajun powder real well, have a big bottle of it. I do love my blade steaks, however. I have my buddy Rob cut them 1 1/4" thick for me, then I smoke with plenty of BBQ sauce on them. Prefer those over all ribs and chops any day. Soft & juicy...ummmm. I've been eating those like that for 20 years. Always was my favorite. I like the bit of marbling (aka fat) that's in and on them. Gives 'em flavor. ;)

Carne Asada is beef steak, so you are going for fusion or something by putting it on pork..

Del, now tell me something I don't know......Cooking school will teach ya the best cooks are the ones that experiment outside the box. That's why I'm so good. lol  Yer just all fused over that soused up verde thing ya got anyway.  :P

Call me old school and call me later for the discussion, but I'm huge on cooking over wood. I might go thru many bags of charcoal through out the year but it really doesn't matter in my opinion what one might use for seasoning. Cooking over hard wood is about as good as it gets. I have to admit I've gone through several big containers of mesquite seasoning  from Costco on fried taters or whatever but I'll take a non seasoned chunk of cow, pig or chicken on the pit over an high heat searing gas  grill any day..seasoning, what seasoning. 

smoked some country style last night with apple for 45 minutes.  then grilled and ended with sweet and zesty dave.  fantastic. once in a while I will use sauce on the blades but not often.  good stuff :)

46 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Ya know, I do not really like that McCormick's Cajun powder real well, have a big bottle of it. I do love my blade steaks, however. I have my buddy Rob cut them 1 1/4" thick for me, then I smoke with plenty of BBQ sauce on them. Prefer those over all ribs and chops any day. Soft & juicy...ummmm. I've been eating those like that for 20 years. Always was my favorite. I like the bit of marbling (aka fat) that's in and on them. Gives 'em flavor. ;)

Carne Asada is beef steak, so you are going for fusion or something by putting it on pork..

Del, now tell me something I don't know......Cooking school will teach ya the best cooks are the ones that experiment outside the box. That's why I'm so good. lol  Yer just all fused over that soused up verde thing ya got anyway.  :P

Yer just getting rubs from the lady next door.  Probably just wesson oil.

Just now, delcecchi said:

Yer just getting rubs from the lady next door.  Probably just wesson oil.

She needs oil, those fat legs rubbin'.together when she walks could start a fire from the friction, I bet.  :tired:

I realize the thread took a turn from the original post but I do have a rub that you can give a try.  It's easy and works on meat, pork and chicken.  Give it a whirl next time you feel adventurous.

• 4 Parts kosher salt (Diamond Crystal) *See Note
  • 3 Parts brown sugar
  • 1 Part sweet paprika
  • 1 Part smoked paprika
  • 1 Part cayenne pepper

For chicken I reduce the salt by 1 part.

*Note: Not all kosher salts are the same. Diamond Crystal is half as salty by weight as Morton's.  So if this rub seems too salty and you’re using Morton’s either reduce the amount or try Diamond Crystal.

Edited by Kidd
Spelling