• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is this?

delcecchi

This was found in my daughters driveway after we visited.  It was greasy. The small hole is threaded. Lenghth is about an inch and a half.

It is either from a self propelled Honda mower or a Toyota vehicle.

1463781670409-2081050656.jpg14637817160531106669726.jpg1463781775991-1163018314.jpg

Help with identification please.

It doesn't look like a moving part since no wear on it.  Some kind of shim that mates a curved or angular surface to a flat surface??  Maybe a tie rod part???  Can't you tell by operating the machines that this is missing?  OK what is it Del?  You must have a clue.  At first my guess would have been lawn mower, now I am thinking the Toyota....

It doesn't seem to have affected any of the toyota vehicle, and appeared the day after I mowed the daughter's grass with her honda mower.  The small hole in the middle is threaded and had a fair amount of grease in it.   

If it is for the mower we might find out soon since it is nearly due to be mowed again.   Their turn this time. 

Some sort of adjuster for the self propelling feature is my current best guess.  

Beyond that I honestly have no clue.   I suppose Honda might have some sort of manual online that might show it.  Maybe I will look for that tonight.

27 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I suppose Honda might have some sort of manual online that might show it.  Maybe I will look for that tonight.

I already did.Nada. Zip. I couldn't find anything......they use basically the same drive systems as a Toro and Ariens, and there's no part that looks anything like that in those systems. (Oh, have I had a lot of those apart) Can't wait to find out what it is. How big is that thing, Del? Hard for me to tell from pics...

Ya I sort of did a part look over of some Honda mowers too.  And I agree it does look like it could be something for the drive system.  So it is threaded inside.  That does mean something.  Hopefully it wasn't something to hold the power steering pump or alternator in place on the Toyota.   Or a front end part.  How about an emergency brake part?  Or motor mount part?  I am really guessing now Del....   :D

It's a spline shaft. My guess is that the spline fits into a yoke and is held on place by a bolt threaded into the threads in the spline. When a lever is turned the spline raises and lowers along the taper and either causes something to be raised/lowered or connected/disconnected. It could be a PTO shaft, Clutch etc but that is where I would start to look. 

10 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Looks like a lock from a goose neck on a bike were it goes in the fork to lock into place 

He's right....it does!!!!!! I think pascooter nailed it! Oh, and welcome to HSO, pascooter!!! :)

Ya, I've seen those!! Dang!! A LOT like the fitting in the bike bar stem tube that snugs up against the stem base. And they are "hollow" like that, mine is!!!  Anyone have a BIG bike crash lately?? :P

Find the widget....

534003.jpgSilver-Color-Aluminum-Alloy-Fixed-Gear-f

SEE? Gotta have faith in us here, Del!  Pascooter's first post...and he nails it! We better watch out, he might be one of those smart-alecky guys. :grin:

Now...you have to tell us where did it COME FROM?!

My guess is it came from a scrapped out bike.  When I took the trash out a week or so ago, while visiting, I noticed the remains of a small kid's bike in the can. I bet they took off the handlebars to get it in the can, and that piece fell on the garage floor and got kicked or dragged to the driveway from where it had fallen, perhaps by the flap on the back of the mower.

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

There it is!!!  Gee, maybe we should have a weekly  Del's "what is it" thread!  Hmmmm...............:whistle:

Who is going to volunteer to throw the junk on Del's yard every week?