• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plans for the Fall

Scoot

Awfully quiet in here!  What does everyone have planned for the Fall?  My buddy and I drew pretty decent tags in MT for elk, so we're excited to get back out there.  I'll also have MN and ND deer tags and will be hunting with my son and buddies.  Hoping to spend a week in ND sometime this year camping and hunting whitetails (we'll see if the schedule allows for that one).  What does everyone else have planned? 

not what im doing.....oh yeah! bear hunting. gosh how ccould i fforget.:P:P but what ever in doi g beside this this year is the year off the bow. no ffire arems till riffle.season.

I have a general elk tag for Montana and will be out there in the middle of September for a long week dragging my bow up and down the mountains . Of corse chase the deer around home here in MN 

I am planning to archery hunt in MN.  Mostly in central Minnesota.  I am taking a trip to Colorado in October.  Unfortunately, it will be with a rifle and not a bow.  I got invited on a sweet little trip for the second rifle season near Grand Junction.  Couldn't pass it up.  Hoping to get out there during late September in a few years.  With our first baby on the way, that may become more of a challenge.

On 5/24/2016 at 6:39 PM, mrklean said:

Starting to accumulate my Colorado gear :)

I hope you're spending as much time getting in great shape as you are prepping your gear!!!  With turkey season wapped up for us I'm going to bump up my base fitness level from "pretty decent" to "elk shape"!  I'll keep going to the gym Mon, Wed, and Fri and I'll add in a run on Thurs evenings and one good cardio workout on the weekends for all of June, July, and Aug and maybe a week or so into Sep.  Then, I'll scale back to my three weekly workouts and try stay healthy.  Nothing for the few days before I leave to rest up.  Doing that makes my trips much, much more enjoyable when I'm there.  Hunting with young bucks makes it even more important to be in good shape- I hate having them wait for me!  

On 5/25/2016 at 10:46 AM, totally_addicted said:

I am planning to archery hunt in MN.  Mostly in central Minnesota.  I am taking a trip to Colorado in October.  Unfortunately, it will be with a rifle and not a bow.  I got invited on a sweet little trip for the second rifle season near Grand Junction.  Couldn't pass it up.  Hoping to get out there during late September in a few years.  With our first baby on the way, that may become more of a challenge.

Hunting in the rut is much, much more fun!  The weapon isn't the kicker, it's the time of year that makes the difference IMO.  Hunting bugling bulls is the cat's pajamas!!!  However, anytime in the mountains is time worth spending and I bet you have a great time!  

47 minutes ago, mrklean said:

Been working out 3 days a week for years, been doing more cardio the past month stairmaster running etc gonna keep ramping that up and soon do long walks with the heavy pack

Atta boy!  I didn't mean to imply that you weren't in shape by the way! It's just that you can't be in too good of shape for those mountains. :-) sounds like you will be very ready. I will work in some heavy pack use towards the end of July and August too. My hips and legs definitely need it. I sure hope they really need it for the purpose of hauling out a very heavy pack! :-)

Well I got some kind of trip planned to south Dakota. It's either mule deer or antelope.  My brother in law cant plan for sure that far out due to having a dairy farm and having to cut silage during hunting season. First try out of state so either way it will be a fun adventure.  

Scoot do you have any  recommendation on a  exercise to strengthen your knees ? 

My problem last fall was my knees  were weak ,  specially going downhills . I wish I had some hills around my house to hike .

And you're right hunting bugling elk is a blast ! A lot like turkeys but the prize is much better in the end 

As of now my plans are...

Nebraska Archery Deer in September 

Wyoming Rifle Muleys in October

North Dakota Waterfowl October

WI and MN Archery Whitetail October/November

WI Rifle Whitetail November 

Still considering doing archery cow elk instead of Nebraska but still planning 

11 hours ago, sportfish said:

Scoot do you have any  recommendation on a  exercise to strengthen your knees ? 

My problem last fall was my knees  were weak ,  specially going downhills . 

When you say they were weak do you mean they hurt from going downhill?  We're they painful, weak, or both?

My personal plan starts with an elk hunt in WY. My buddy and I pulled General elk tags and we have two zones pretty well e-scouted. That will be sometime around the 3rd week of September. Dates aren't set yet cause my work schedule is threatening to jack it up, but it will happen with the bow. 

Throw in some deer in MN, possibly with an MBRB hunt. I should draw this year. I'd like to go somewhere else out of state but we'll see. 

Last year I also developed some serious issues with my knee when elk hunting. It was all part of overuse and lack of training. I did use trekking poles and they helped tremendously, but in the end I had terrible, trip ending pain in my knee no matter what I used to help. 

This year I am doing more weigh bearing training as well as adding step-ups and lunges to my training regiment. If you don't have hills to train on then add the step ups and lunges. You can do them anywhere. 

Plans for this fall are pretty simple...... getting myself back into bow hunting after 20+ years out of it, and introducing my 13 year old to bow hunting.  

After Juniors last AAU basketball tourny last weekend we stopped at Cabela's and had him fitted with a Bear Cruzer package. And I pulled out my late 70's Browning Explorer and am getting it back into shape.  We will spend the summer shooting, so that by fall we can spend some quality time in the woods.  We're lucky to be able to walk 5 minutes from the house and be in the woods in stand.  Boy I gotta say, that bow didnt seem so hard to pull and hold years ago:grin:

Only other thing planned is a 10 day pheasant hunt out to NW North Dakota with Junior and my inlaws.  Good chance we will skip rifle season here in MN, and just concentrate on bow season.

Pretty basic plan for me.

Starting off with bow opener in MN hunting Morrison and Todd counties.

Hopefully Hunt 2nd season Camp Ripley.

Then actually put more hours in the week before rifle with the bow.  I usually am not out much during that week, as I am too busy getting the other 6 rifle hunters dump in order and set up so they are ready for opening morning.  I enjoy doing it for them, ( 62 year old father with health issues, 50 year old buddy, 12 year old daughter, 10 year old son, 61 year old mother, that really does more work than me, and my beautiful wife!) Just hope to have thing in order early.

Then off to Deer Camp on Cass county for rifle season.

Then to the metro for a early December bow hunt.

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Need to get my butt in shape and shoot my bow a bit... 

Amen to that!  I've been working out consistently and am doing OK (not great) on the conditioning part of things, but I haven't been shooting enough.  I need to fix that starting NOW!