• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabill Net Options

MN BassFisher

I am wanting to purchase my GF's dad a new landing net for Father's Day. He mainly fishes at their cabin on Vermilion and has 2 large nets currently. One is great for Musky and the other is his all around net. The all around net is a bit too large and clunky for Walleye and Bass fishing. I am looking at the Conservation Series or the Rubber Sportsman Nets. I definitely want a net that is rubber or tangle free coated. I'm torn on the actual size of the net - 20" X 23" seems like a good size for Walleye/Bass. I also would like to hear opinions on handle type as there are fixed handles, sliding handles and telescoping. Space isn't too much of a concern.

I've got the frabil rubber net telescoping handle not sure what size it it similar to the one you mentioned and works great for walleyes on vermilion or small pike. They run about $60 also got the sportsmens rubber not (non telescoping) for panfish only about $30. Great nets though!

22 hours ago, Fishin machine said:

I've got the frabil rubber net telescoping handle not sure what size it it similar to the one you mentioned and works great for walleyes on vermilion or small pike. They run about $60 also got the sportsmens rubber not (non telescoping) for panfish only about $30. Great nets though!

I like the netting of the Rubber Sportsman's net.

51TcANjR9PL._SY300_.jpg

I also like the idea of a telescoping handle, 24"-48" is plenty. They have options that go to 96" which is overkill for the use I'm planning on. I read on a few old posts on Walleye forums that anglers said that netting of the Conservation series wasn't great for Crankbaits as it would tangle.

9510.png

I think the older netting on that model was smaller/micro netting. It appears to be larger now and I would think it would work find with trebles/cranks. Do you have any problems with cranks tangling in your net @Fishin machine?

8 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I hate those rubber nets aka the fish trampoline.  Walleyes and bass bounce out, northerns go through.

You need to catch larger and heavier fish Del.

;);)

1 minute ago, Duffman said:

You need to catch larger and heavier fish Del.

;);)

I saw my dad have about a 40 incher go through.  Fishing from a canoe...

If it's only for fish bigger than that , it's a waste of space. 

4 hours ago, MN BassFisher said:

I like the netting of the Rubber Sportsman's net.

51TcANjR9PL._SY300_.jpg

I also like the idea of a telescoping handle, 24"-48" is plenty. They have options that go to 96" which is overkill for the use I'm planning on. I read on a few old posts on Walleye forums that anglers said that netting of the Conservation series wasn't great for Crankbaits as it would tangle.

9510.png

I think the older netting on that model was smaller/micro netting. It appears to be larger now and I would think it would work find with trebles/cranks. Do you have any problems with cranks tangling in your net @Fishin machine?

Not really if the hooks do tangle they are not hard to get out unlike the regular mesh netting.

I have a similar net to your second picture, don't remember the make or model, but I really like it. Rarely have anything tangled in it. Plenty big enough for just about any fish. Huge upgrade for those nylon/rope nets. Those were a real pain with hooks stuck in them and was hard to get those little northerns out when they would flip and roll around into a tangled web...