• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear Shack builds this summer???

Who's building a shack this summer??? 

Care to share your design and what went into why you did what you did??? Please share your process and progress here. Pictures and questions too. 

Never know... I might be able to get the East Central Chapter MDAA to toss in a prize for best build of 2016. I'll see what I can do. 

I have my build plans and materials list together. Just need the motivation to get things going. 

Great topic.

I'm building a one man skis on the side of the house for the upcoming season. Probably 4x5 or 6. It will have a bench permanently installed to set on.  I did not get out this year nearly as much as I wanted. Ice conditions did not allow me to bring my big house out. 

This is what I have planned so far. Cedar 2x2 framing. Cedar is much lighter then pine. Rubber roof. I have a roll of it from other projects. It's light, durable, and easy to install. 

The thing I cannot decide on is siding material. I want it light so I've thought aluminum sheeting is the way to go. It's great but its also expensive. I'm not normally cheap when it comes to building things but I'm trying to keep costs under control. 

Im open to any suggestions.

Any updates???? I've gotten distracted by life and a spear shack has taken the back seat. Mostly staying focused on trying to finish the duck-toon and new things around the house. Both of which have sucked up most of my play money for the summer. 

I'm in the same boat, re-staining the deck, has now turned into remodeling the deck. With the miserable rainy days that project is taking way too long. Haven't lost hope yet though!

I've gotten to the point of thinking about getting a couple shacks built.  Been wondering what to do for a frame - either see if I can get enough aluminum together or go with a wood frame.

MJ, I don't recall cedar 2x2s being that expensive.  That's an idea I hadn't come around to yet in the wood frame arena but not bad.

IF, and that's a big IF, I get around to putting new steel on my shed (plain gray galvanized now), I might consider using the old stuff for siding on some spear shacks.  Not the lightest but free.  Not the prettiest, but free...  Maybe sell some burritos out of it part time. ;)

I've been concentrating on house stuff and picking up some buys on warerfowling gear.  Dragged someone else's old boat home today.  Washed it out and started taking inventory of tweaks I need to make.  Considering that season starts before spearing, I like to think I have my priorities in order.