• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Windows, which type?

Huskie

We are putting on a 14' X 18' four season  addition  this summer.  As usual the costs are starting to get a little more than we anticipated, ie gutter helmet, fireplace etc.  We are thinking about going with slider windows instead of casements, double hungs  or even awnings.  We more than likely will go with Andersen 100 series that colorwise at least match the rest of the house.  We will need one 2'X4', three 4'X5' and one 6'X5' windows.  Any suggestions on the pros and cons on this choice before you pack up the boat and head out for the opener???

I was just at lowes the other day looking at Anderson Windows. I am running into the same thing (project getting more spendy than I wanted). I am going with a slider due to the fact it's about half the cost of a casement. Seems like casement also can go bad over time ( I know they all say that they don't anymore but it's one more mechanism to fail ) as long as you make sure you get a low e window. It comes down to preference. 

If you look at their test data reports, what you will find (and this is typical of all slider manufacturers) is that the sliders are a much "looser" window in terms of air infiltration, especially compared to casements. What that extra air leakage translates into in real dollars, I'm not enough of an engineer to tell you. Frankly, I don't think it can amount to very much. Just kind of an FYI, as some people get very concerned about energy costs.

I would do sliders in a heart beat. On the 6 x 5 consider a 3 lite.  1/4 1/2 1/4 maybe with muntins on the sides. Might cost a couple bucks more to heat but it wont be much. You will save on the cost over casements and end up ahead. Double hung over single hung for ease of cleaning if you go that way. PW is a nice idea also as mentioned if you dont want the extra ventilation. I like the verticle lines versus the horizontal on the double hungs. Leafguard gutter system works dandy if you want to save on that end. If I remember right gutter helmut has to lay on your shingles. 

what side of the house is the proposed room gonna be on? We put sliders in a buddys house cuz they were cheaper, 5 yrs later he ended up replacing them due to air leakage. had to put plastic on inside in winter. Casement windows in my opinion have the best seal (wind blowing against them closes tighter) . Double hungs good too, don't want to put in windows you're gonna regret in years to come.

buy a good slider and no problems. :)  there are some bad ones out there. research the specs on the brands. my sliders in addition have worked perfect since 2003. My biggest is 96 x 60 

Picking four season addition is really a smart move. The best thing about them is that they are energy efficient and reliable. Such rooms which are made of glass provides visual clarity and facilitates a place where family can gather to enjoy the natural light. I think they are second to none when it comes to climate control requirements. They ensure water proof environment along with the ability to regulate the quality of indoor air. Be it the summer, the spring or the fall just enjoy them from the comfort of your home. They are worth the money you spend. Remember the expense depends on your size requirement. Even though the budget may go up make all arrangements for gutters, gutter helmets and the such for better durability of your windows.

Windows come in plethora of designs like the Awnings, Casement, Custom Vinyl, Bay & Bow, End Vent slider, Fixed casement, Garden, Hopper, Hung, Picture, Slider to mention a few. I am a great fan of Bay windows. Last summer I took help from a window installation and replacement services, Canglow windows and doors edmonton to install bay windows. Bay windows are adorable. Initially I was confused between choosing between bay and casement.  With swelling prices make the best choice. Have a nice experience with your four season addition. Embark on your journey!!! Best of luck.