• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Powerdrive V2 vs. Terrova

busse3775

Looking at buying a new trolling motor with Ipilot and am thinking about saving a little money and just buying the PD V2 with Ipilot instead of the Terrova. I know the Terrova has the universal sonar in it but I don't plan on using any of that. I also like the deploy and stow latch on the PD V2 better than the push in lever on the Terrova. What are your guy's opinions? And does the Terrova do more that I am unaware of?

I like the Terrova stow and deploy better personally.   And with an ipilot the terrova gets to keep the foot pedal, while pd2 does not.  And I like the US2 for the bow mounted sonar, no cables in the way.   So looks like we are not too much on the same page......

I changed from cable drive to Terrova  Biggest concern was stow and deploy.  Although a cable is likely still easier, I am happy with the Terrova it stows efficiently.  As far as US2 goes, considering these power steer motors slide and tilt when deploying I personally think there is a risk to cutting ducer cables as a result.  Consider the amount of cable that needs to ride up the shaft through the coil that extends from the head to the base.  there are a lot of moving parts there. 

No way I would install a PD if I could not have US2.  Unless I was not going to have any sonar up front.

I have a 2006 PD right now and love the stow and deploy system and have never even used a foot pedal before since my PD has copilot. I am somewhat confused about the US2, is this system just for running depth finders in the front of your boat?

yes

11 minutes ago, busse3775 said:

I have a 2006 PD right now and love the stow and deploy system and have never even used a foot pedal before since my PD has copilot. I am somewhat confused about the US2, is this system just for running depth finders in the front of your boat?

4 hours ago, busse3775 said:

Yes.  It is a transducer designed to work with almost any depthfinder that is integrated into the bottom of the trolling motor with a cable that runs through the shaft and out the top.  You purchase a short adapter cable to connect to the finder.  

It works at 83 and 200 kHz.  Only down side is none of the fancy chirp, di, SI, whatever. Just regular 2d old school sonar. 

I had this same question about a month ago, coming from a 10 year old Powerdrive v1. I tried going to Gander and Cabelas but none had floor models that I could actually test the deploy mechanisms. I have a newer Lowrance Elite 7 so I knew that I wasn't going to hook this up to my graph, but wanted spot lock, track following, cruise control, etc. (i.e. iPilot). In the end, I figured that even though my old Powerdrive v1 was a pain the rear to deploy, I'd lived with it for ten years and could deal with it not being as nice as the Terrova....for the price difference. I bought the Powerdrive v2 with iPilot and couldn't be happier. It deploys so much easier than my old Powerdrive v1. I'm sure that the Terrova is even easier/nicer but in hindsight I can't imagine paying more unless I needed the US2. Mine did not come with a foot pedal, just the handheld/necklace remote.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

4 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I had this same question about a month ago, coming from a 10 year old Powerdrive v1. I tried going to Gander and Cabelas but none had floor models that I could actually test the deploy mechanisms. I have a newer Lowrance Elite 7 so I knew that I wasn't going to hook this up to my graph, but wanted spot lock, track following, cruise control, etc. (i.e. iPilot). In the end, I figured that even though my old Powerdrive v1 was a pain the rear to deploy, I'd lived with it for ten years and could deal with it not being as nice as the Terrova....for the price difference. I bought the Powerdrive v2 with iPilot and couldn't be happier. It deploys so much easier than my old Powerdrive v1. I'm sure that the Terrova is even easier/nicer but in hindsight I can't imagine paying more unless I needed the US2. Mine did not come with a foot pedal, just the handheld/necklace remote.

Thanks for the advice! I have a Lowrance Elite 7 as well and my opinion is right with yours. I don't need a foot pedal and I don't mind the stow and deploy system on the Powerdrive at all.

I am running an Elite 7 off the US2 on my terrova.  I love having the depth and gps in the front when I am fishing up there.   But I am not sure what the HDI is showing me anyway.  Have another on the console with transducer on transom. 

Purchased the Powerdrive V2 with ipilot last night at the Scheels fishfest since they were 10% off. I was talking to the Scheels guy about the difference between the V2 and the Terrova and he said the only thing different is the stow and deploy systems. He stated the V2 also has the US2 system, is this correct?

1 hour ago, busse3775 said:

Purchased the Powerdrive V2 with ipilot last night at the Scheels fishfest since they were 10% off. I was talking to the Scheels guy about the difference between the V2 and the Terrova and he said the only thing different is the stow and deploy systems. He stated the V2 also has the US2 system, is this correct?

Controls must be different since Terrova can have pedal and ipilot, and PD you have to choose.   And the 24 volt motors, PD2 is 70 pounds thrust and Terrova is 80. 

But yes both have available US2. 

I got the 60" shaft with 70 pound thrust. I see on the Minnkota page that this model does have the US2. Looks like I'll be buying another depth finder in the near future now!

I'd like to replace my old PD trolling motor with a new iPilot version.  Haven't researched it a lot, but after reading the above comments.  I would need a foot pedal.  We do mostly bass fishing and my foot pedal has not been working very good lately, so I've had to use the little remote.  What a pain, especially if your fighting a fish.

Nels

the terrova deploy is a ton better than power drive.  obviously they have a bit more thrust.  having the footpedal is a bonus for when i'm moving around a bank or vertical jigging with 2 rods. 

but with ipilot, when i'm vertical jigging a location and making repeated passes, i just record the track and repeat it.  works great. 

How does one model have more thrust than another? 70lbs of thrust is 70lbs of thrust no matter the model.

Both deploys work very well, one is just even easier. A ton would imply that the V2 is difficult, but that's only the case if you don't have opposable thumbs.

I have opposable thumbs and a positive IQ and I think the deploy on terrova is way better, plus you get to keep your foot pedal with ipilot.  And you get an extra 10 pounds thrust with the 24 volt option.

So ahhh, the v2 can come with a foot pedal. I think that some comments thread on this thread suggest that the Terrova is superior to the v2. The point about having higher thrust options is valid, as the v2 models only go up to 70lbs of thrust can go up to 112lbs. If you don't need more than 70lbs, it's a moot point. Since both have the option of a remote or foot pedal, that's another way that they are both the same. So really the only difference between the two is price and the deployment. For anyone trying to decide between the two, they should simply go to a store and try the two out (if they can) to see if the simpler deploy on the Terrova is worth the extra $300.

Power drive ipilot and foot pedal are mutually exclusive so far as I know.  You can't have ipilot and foot pedal on power drive.

Terrova autopilot is not the same as power drive  with no ipilot (with ipilot they are same)

24 volt has 80 vrs 70 pounds thrust. 

Foot pedal is biggest deal for me but easier stow deploy is worth it for this old guy.

On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 4:07 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

How does one model have more thrust than another? 70lbs of thrust is 70lbs of thrust no matter the model.

Both deploys work very well, one is just even easier. A ton would imply that the V2 is difficult, but that's only the case if you don't have opposable thumbs.

you can't get the terrova with 70lbs of thrust at 24v.  only 80. 

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

So ahhh, the v2 can come with a foot pedal. I think that some comments thread on this thread suggest that the Terrova is superior to the v2. The point about having higher thrust options is valid, as the v2 models only go up to 70lbs of thrust can go up to 112lbs. If you don't need more than 70lbs, it's a moot point. Since both have the option of a remote or foot pedal, that's another way that they are both the same. So really the only difference between the two is price and the deployment. For anyone trying to decide between the two, they should simply go to a store and try the two out (if they can) to see if the simpler deploy on the Terrova is worth the extra $300.

you can have ipilot....or a foot pedal with the V2.  not both.   terrova you can have both.