• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recomdatons please

I am new to kayaks but would like to buy one for fishing, can you please advise me  ?  I have been advised to get a sit on top . I would like a 2 person unit. I was told to get a Big Tuna but they are very pricey and I don't want to spend that much . I will need to order online as there are no retailers in my area . What are some options ?

Thanks

This is a bit like asking the "Ford/Chevy/Dodge" or "marcum/vexilar" question.

The best recomendation I can give is try several before you buy any. If you have friends with kayaks try them. If you can try them at a store do it. Don't hesitate to take one off the rack, put it on the floor and sit in it. 

I have 3 kayaks in my shed, all are "sit in" style. I tend to prefer that style of Kayak, I am considering a "sit on" for my next one, but i am also looking at some of the hybrid styles as well. One of my boats is heavily modified to use for Duck Hunting @ 12'. Then I have my "fishing" Kayak witch will also be modified once my daughter can handle a larger boat. Its also 12', but smaller than the other one. Finally I have a 10'er that is the gooses boat.

The Sit-In boats are going to be lighter than the double hulled Sit-On boats. It's a matter of design. My 12' boats are around 55lbs before modifications. The average sit on 12'er is going to be close to 75lbs before any mod's are done.

Some of the Sit-On boats are stable enough to stand up in. In a sit-in style you will be seated all day. 

Sit on boats are easier to get in and out of.

Both will get water in them. The Sit in boats will get water in them and it will be there until you bail it out. Sit on usually have scupper holes so you can drain the water out buy pulling a plug. (note that this will also allow water in, but it will not sink the boat due to the double hull design)

It comes down to personal preference, but its a lot of money out the window if you get one you dont like.

Thanks for the input . I have been mulling it around all day and have come to terms with the price, so I have sold myself on a Big Tuna . I will try to get to a city and find a store just to have a look before making the plunge