• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roundup Ready sweetcorn

graingrower

I will plant one acre of this for a roadside stand.  The herbicide tolerance seems insignificant compared to the fact that it is also a Bt.  It is a bicolor se variety.  I will plant 2,000 green bean seeds for the same market.

0427161821.thumb.jpg.ffbf6a076b190a74396df3c7db960dcd.jpg

0427161822.thumb.jpg.60232668d29b4428fd57651c0b95d6d7.jpg

Some folks have done the Round Up Ready thing locally and it is handy but spendy. No worries about foxtail which usually is the biggest weed issue here. Flavor seemed OK although I'm sure they've improved the variety selection since the last stuff I ate a couple years ago. 

1 hour ago, jmd1 said:

So i had a couple pieces of this brand sweet corn friday at a bbq at work.  It is so good, i could have eaten 10 ears.  I think you all will like it.

What brand?

Oh it is dry heat until June when monsoon rolls in then it is humid and really hot.  Nothing like getting the paper at 4 am to a 95 degree sw breeze.  It is darn good corn i will say that.  

This variety of sweet corn is clearly superior!  The eating quality is excellent, as evidenced by the number of repeat customers claiming this is the best corn they have ever eaten.  About 15 percent of the stalks produced two saleable ears, planting population was 25,000 ppa.  Most of the ears have 22 rows around the cob and are 40+ kernels in length.  No bugs.  No worms.  No weeds.  I feel the harvest window is five days longer than the conventional peaches and cream variety.  We have sold nearly 2000 bakers dozen as we wind down the season on Saturday.

That is nice. Corn ear worm has been a real pain in some spots this season.The first corn we ate had a bunch in it. Discovering one of those large ugly things munching on an ear usually turns people off. How did the green beans come out?

The green beans performed poorly as they were always suffering from too much soil moisture throughout the season.  I am not impressed with the disease tolerance of the Jade II variety.  Germination rates were also disappointing.  I will try a different cultivar next season, any suggestions?  We enjoyed success with dark red norland potato, straight eight cucumber, and Oregon spring tomatoes.