• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sandwhiches

When I was growing up at home cheese meant Velveeta. My mom made the best macaroni and cheese with Velveeta and some milk.  You could almost drink it.  And that is a good thing.  Like Smurfy said it melted great too.  Haven'd had it maybe once in the last 10 years though.  lol  When I get sandwich bored which happens often, I like a braunshweiger sandwich with mayo and homemade dill pickle slices on top.  I also will do a two egg sandwich with mayo a little spicy mustard and dill pickle slices and a slice of cheese.  I will have that my morning sandwich at 10;00 break.   Although lately I have been having PB&J for my morning sandwich.  I put all of these on bakery rye bread.  

From the Herters Cookbook about 50 years ago.  Some great lines in the directions like "put in your pocket".  I could see Del and Reb out fishing and Del asks Reb if he's hungry and he pulls a rolled up thing in leather out of his pocket and hands it to him.  "Thanks".

image.jpeg

Edited by leechlake

19 hours ago, Dotch said:

I love 'em both Ken, just have to be careful about the cured meat thing with the Mrs. with the BLT's. And Rueben's when I dine out are one of my faves. Just don't routinely make them at home. Good idea though. Have made them, just been a while. Should look for some corned beef brisket methinks. Swiss cheese with kraut is bomb! :)

The time to buy corned beef is the week of St Patrick's Day. All the stores have them on sale. I bought 8 of them. Some for

Rueben's and some to smoke for Pastrami.

1 hour ago, leechlake said:

From the Herters Cookbook about 50 years ago.  Some great lines in the directions like "put in your pocket".  I could see Del and Reb out fishing and Del asks Reb if he's hungry and he pulls a rolled up thing in leather out of his pocket and hands it to him.  "Thanks".

image.jpeg

I think I have both the herter's bull cook books, vol 1 and vol 2.  

I especially liked the advice to urinate in a circle around your campsite to repel bears. 

:P

I hate to say it but mine has a section on hard boiling eggs.  It mentions that with "modern refrigeration" you need to remember to take the eggs out and start them at room temp.  It also says older eggs work better...no mention of any type of poking.

There is a section completely hacking on Minnesota "wild rice" that has gotten away from true wild rice.  Herter refers to it as the same as barley.  It's a non food item to him.  He never calls it grass but his barley reference is pretty much the same.

Finally, there is a section on buying and cooking wieners.  No mention of mustard at all.  Herter does give a "shoutout" to a up and coming butcher in the book though.  He uses RH's first name and I don't want to repeat it here.  RH getting props from a Master doesn't surprise me.  Al Lindner mentions me in a few of the older walleye books, kind of the same thing :)

1 hour ago, KEN W said:

The time to buy corned beef is the week of St Patrick's Day. All the stores have them on sale. I bought 8 of them. Some for

Rueben's and some to smoke for Pastrami.

My buddy in AL sometimes runs across the out of code stuff sometimes for samples. The price: Free! Suddenly I feel the Bern! :D

time to let the Bern go, the news just told me he has to win all the remaining states by 20% to catch Crooked Hillary.  Bern's only chance is Hillary doing something illegal which will never ever ever happen.

I think out of code corned beef is unpossible.  You could ship it in July and be okay.  I'm in, send me a case of Free corned beef.

12 hours ago, ThunderLund78 said:

BBuy the Pilsbury Grands biscuits - not the ones in the tube, the ones in the bag in the frozen section.  

That's the version I use for biscuits and gravy.  They're much better than the tube ones, but more importantly, you always run the risk of this happening:

dough.gif