• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Stocking

In muskie debate, the needs of all must reign

July 27, 2016 — 8:43am
itemprop

. A billboard placed on I-94 near Monticello by Big Musky Smiles, a non-profit group that promotes muskie fishing.

Monday’s announcement by the Department of Natural Resources that it will stock muskies in the Gull Lake Chain in Cass and Crow Wing counties and the Fairmont Chain in Martin County along the Iowa border might — or might not — prove to be a good thing for Minnesota fishing in general.

I say that as someone who loves to fish muskies — as I do other fish species.

The concern from my vantage point is that further muskie stocking in Minnesota has become highly contentious, not only between muskie anglers and lake-home owners on proposed muskie lakes, but in many cases between muskie anglers and other anglers.

The Gull Lake Chain is an example. Stocking muskies in that lake was overwhelmingly opposed by lakeshore owners, as well as by some anglers.

One reason: Many longtime Gull Lake anglers believe the lake’s walleye population has nose-dived in recent years. The presence of zebra mussels hasn’t helped — or might be the cause altogether.

But rather than intensify its effort to return Gull Lake to the walleye hot spot it once was, these anglers say, the DNR is stocking muskies, a relatively easy species to propagate.

To reiterate: Fishing is a pastime of the masses, and it can’t survive without support of the masses.

If in the interest of spreading the muskie gospel, the DNR undermines support for, or interest in, other types of fishing, the net loss will be to fishing in general, not just to muskie fishing.

And if fishing declines, so too will sales and values of boats and motors and other equipment and commodities, including, perhaps, lakeshore property.

Everyone agrees the Gull Lake Chain will make excellent muskie water. Yet at times it’s already tough to find a parking spot at one of its public launch sites.

Yes, Gull and other state lakes are public waters and should be managed for everyone’s benefit, including that of muskie anglers.

Yet for the benefit of fishing in general, there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed when considering the further expansion of these fish in Minnesota.

Maybe we’ve crossed it already. Maybe not.

What’s certain is that the primary consideration in further muskie stocking no longer should be only biology — whether a given lake or river will support muskies — but also sociology and politics, e.g., what the public and the Legislature will accept without retribution.

---------------------------------------fight the merge---------------------------------------------------------

Kill walleye in February or  March and put in the pan from a wheelhouse or a resort perm house is OK and no impact.  Kill walleye in may with a net is a disaster?  Explain why you guys think that is true.  

People opposing muskie stocking are reacting to DNR being unable to sustain quality fishing in the lakes they fish for whatever reason.  It is their perception and the muskie guys telling them it is only because of global warming and their own inability is condescending and offputting.  

Condescending and outputting? Facts don't lie when lake surveys show those species are still in those lakes and in many cases higher than typical numbers so if the fish are there why can't they catch them? Its simple.

Most lakes are clearer now than they were 10, 15 years ago. Why? Zebra mussels are one piece. The other more stringent controls around the lakes including septic systems not dumping into the lake anymore.

Anyone who fishes walleyes should know that they are much more active at night in most lakes except those which have clarity issues (lake of the woods).

So, if you've always fished a lake and now are having trouble catching fish, it's time to head out after dark. The lakes are busier than they have ever been. Technology is leaps and bounds better than it was only 10 years ago. Fish get hammered and see bait much much more than they ever have.

One hint, with all The lakes that are stocked with walleyes many of those fish never leave the weeds for one reason or another. Instead of hitting the offshore areas, key in on the inside and outside weed edges even in the middle of the day. You might be surprised. I have seen hundreds, yes hundreds of walleyes in water under 10 feet in high sun, flat calm days. This defies logic but they were in huge schools. Wouldn't bite though unless I stayed 50 yards away and cast back to them. This was in a him clear lake that was stocked with muskies.

Telling people they are poor fishermen and ignorant is condescending, insulting, and offputting.  You will not convince them to support muskies by telling them how stupid they are for not supporting muskies like you just did.

The walleye fishing on the west end of Vermilion went in the dumper around the time the muskie population started to take off.  Personally I think it was a coincidence, although DNR has yet to come up with an explanation (fry aren't making it to fall) why.   I have heard a number of people blame muskies. 

Until the DNR (and muskie fishermen) takes the issues the locals have seriously and shows they are putting effort into fixing the problems, there will continue to be problems getting buy in on musky stocking.

If you're such a whiz, maybe you ought to do the Buck Perry or Al Lindner thing and come to their lakes and show the rubes how it is done. 

As I have said before, if most of the people (2/3 or more) have little interest in muskies, dnr needs to show that proportional effort and money is going towards the species they are interested in.   It is a public relations and political problem, not a biology problem. 

Edited by delcecchi

I never called anyone stupid or a poor fisherman you did. In saying things have changed and people need to adapt to them to catch the fish. They are there.

I used to catch a lot of bullheads as a kid. Can't catch them anymore. Why is that? Water quality has greatly improved so fish like bullheads are not as prevalent. Look at surveys, they support that. Walleyes are in greater numbers than they have ever been. If people cannot catch them it isn't because they aren't there.

Del, if you want me to show you how to catch walleyes on the west end of vermilion just ask. I have had no problems finding and catching them but I'm surely not going to broadcast my tactics on an internet forum. You want to tag along or me to hop in your boat and help you out I surely will.

Its almost like someone asking Trump to give them tips how to make millions. They aren't going to just tell you unless they like you. I like you so I would gladly share a boat with you sometime.

Thanks for the offer.  I might take you up on it.  I am on far west end... Niles bay is pretty far east for me.   I wasn't asking for tips actually, not that I would turn them down, from you, Trump, Bogle, or Buffett, fishing or money.  (I read PMs :D )

You haven't necessarily said folks are stupid or even implied it but a lot of the musky fans sure have, just because someone don't want someone else's personal favorite fish stocked.    

Even the DNR is now admitting there is an issue of unknown cause with walleye on the far west end especially with keeper size.  Sportsmen Club web site has minutes of the fisheries advisory council meeting.   Looks like slot might be going away.

But that is off topic.  What I hope I have gotten across to the group is a majority of fishermen are not especially interested in muskies and see no upside and a possible downside to stocking them in a given lake.   Having Al or others saying "trust us, it won't hurt your fishing as all the experts will tell you"  is, as i said, offputting.    

A people do a lot of ASSuming on message boards. I may have "musky" in my username but fat is I spend more than 90% of my time fishing walleyes and haven't actually targeted muskies in 3 years. Something to think about. 

You do have a piece of heaven on vermilion. I love that lake. Every species a person could ever want on one lake. Spent a lot of hours out there and know it well. The west end, or cook end as I call it is my favorite.

Here's a google for some who may want to look more closely at the Pelican Lake guy who has concussion like symptoms and is at the forefront of stopping stocking in OTC. Type like WDAY, April 12,2016 killing geese out of season man cited. It's the same clown. A real true sportsmen.

5 hours ago, O.T.C. said:

Here's a google for some who may want to look more closely at the Pelican Lake guy who has concussion like symptoms and is at the forefront of stopping stocking in OTC. Type like WDAY, April 12,2016 killing geese out of season man cited. It's the same clown. A real true sportsmen.

You can just post a link to the story, it is OK.   No rule against it.  

He got mad since they were pooping all over his yard.   Turns out there is nothing that can be done about it, except maybe getting a dog to chase them off.  But he did violate the law. 

On the other hand, if you got the bucks....and jump through some legal hoops and hire a lawyer...  

http://www.wday.com/news/4069156-crystal-sugar-roundup-culls-121-canada-geese

I thought the part about feeding the young ones to wolves was a nice touch.  

Edited by delcecchi

He was also using a deer rifle! Its one thing to break the law with a shotgun, but using a deer rifle is flat out insane. Those bullets traveled who knows how far. Ricocheting off the water, etc.

Maybe the geese were just trying to take back "their" grazing area that he built his house on. What a hypocrite. 

Yes that guy is the OTC barometer on whether muskies should be stocked or not wow lol, the Perham noses in the air, chests puffed up city council, cmon Kenny Nelson is the reason Perham succeeds ask him if muskies should be stocked. What else is with this guy ? Maybe a coyote decoy or owl decoy would spare your yard, it's nothing new, anybody with fingers can google how to keep geese away and a rifle generally isn't topping the list. I would hope the DNR then stops stocking walleyes in "his" lake. There are very very few OTC lakes with decent sized pike anymore is a big part of why I like musky fishing, you have a chance to catch a big pike (musky) and it keeps 200K anglers after them and not the walleyes.