• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

POR15 over diamond plate

randerson

My hatred of diamond plate is well documented and plan to put POR 15 over mine this fall. They're staff is very helpful if you call them and ask. Post what they say if you do. I have to believe it will work, especially mine that's 2 winters old now and has VERY little shine left to it. 

I'm also not a huge fan of the shiny diamond plate, but there aren't a lot of other options. 

I think that you'll have to step up in material thickness in order for any sort of paint product to stick long term.  The industry standard .063" has too much flex for paint to stand up long term to banking snow/ice against it.  A couple of the Ice Castle pages are full of people talking about their black diamond plate chipping, and they've only been offering it for a couple years.

Anodizing would probably be the way to go if you are starting from new, but that will still scratch and get dinged up.   

Probably ought to call POR. I don't think there would much flex, it's well screwed over well screwed plywood. See, with every aspect of diamond plate-you're screwed! Is that fish house humor? 

LRG, I saw one of your last posts, are you putting it on the new houses?

I'm curious to see someone else give it a try, Hawg! :)

The short answer is yes.  

The longer answer is that I've been researching everything for this diamond plate to try to come up with some better options, because I'm also not a fan.  Last week I talked to a powder coating guy who said there is no way it will hold up long term on .063".  If it were on a camper or something that isn't going to see continual impact from banking snow, it would probably work.  I think anodizing is maybe the better (best?) option, but I don't really want to be the guinea pig on that, right now.  If I fast forward 2-3 years, I'd rather have slightly hazy/corroded diamond plate than spend a bunch of time trying to fix a bunch of paint chips, or de-laminating powder coating.    

If the primary usage of diamond plate is for protection of rocks and other debris while traveling and also having snow banked against it, why not use some sort of a plastic type sheeting over the siding?

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/paneling-planking/paneling/fasade-diamond-plate-4-x-8-pvc-wall-panel/paint/paneling-planking/paneling/fasade-diamond-plate-4-x-8-pvc-wall-panel/p-1444423260561.htm

What about leaving the siding as is and going with some kind of snap system where you could put on some kind of insulated canvas quick and bank that flap like you would a portable?  May be reaching here but just trying to think of what else might work that's cost effective and not an absolute pain to replace if needed.

The people at POR 15 confirmed that it will stick and it's a good application for going over diamond plate, just be sure to use their prep first. I think their prep is just a mild acid wash.

3 hours ago, Hawg said:

The people at POR 15 confirmed that it will stick and it's a good application for going over diamond plate, just be sure to use their prep first. I think their prep is just a mild acid wash.

Let'er rip!  I'm excited to see how it turns out.