• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern

You know when my son and i fished at leech, we caught several northerns along with eyes.  I liked the northern better than walleye, I think it is just a tighter meat than the others.  I even bought some here in phoenix and fried them up.  But for the cost of them here, i could have flown back to leech and caught them myself.  Great dinner.  Jeff

12 hours ago, jmd1 said:

You know when my son and i fished at leech, we caught several northerns along with eyes.  I liked the northern better than walleye, I think it is just a tighter meat than the others.  I even bought some here in phoenix and fried them up.  But for the cost of them here, i could have flown back to leech and caught them myself.  Great dinner.  Jeff

My wife also said that she likes the taste of Pike over Walleye. So, now I have to keep and clean a few slimers once in a while! :(

looks good eyeguy!! I prefer pike over eyes also. not only that there fun to fish for!!!!!!! over 4 lbs I take the y-bones out. that goes into pickling material. I smoke 2-3 lb pike. next to eating skin on sunfish nords are my next favorite fish to eat!!!!!!

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I use the pan a lot for salmon.  great for veggies also. but wear a thick leather glove when you grab the handle after a couple beers! !  OUCH only once... lol 

for sure will do northern this way again, really good!

You could probably remove the wood in the handle and eliminate the eventual leechlake grill fire thingy! :D

18 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Looks great to me!!! Walleye or northerns, I'll take either one. Both are great, IMO. I like norheren like that, and waldos in beer batter. 

beer batter :sick: wadda wanna do kill the flavor of fish??????????? just a palin old batter.........some lemon pepper and or alpine touch some horseradish..............NO KATCUP THIS TIME!!!!!!!!:P

Just now, smurfy said:

beer batter :sick: wadda wanna do kill the flavor of fish??????????? just a palin old batter.........some lemon pepper and or alpine touch some horseradish..............NO KATCUP THIS TIME!!!!!!!!:P

Katcup?! Is that a device worn by felines to prevent sore balls? :grin:

Try fish in parchment paper (can use tinfoil in a pinch, plus it protects you against government mind control rays)

Like this one (pike instead of cod)

Foil-Roasted Cod with Herbed Vegetables

Published December 1, 2006.

Why this recipe works:

We love baked fish recipes, especially as the highlight of a quick and easy weeknight meal. For a recipe that made swift work of cleanup, we roasted each fish fillet in its own foil pouch along with vegetables and flavorful ingredients like thyme and basil. Once our recipe’s fish and vegetables were cooked through, we transferred all of the foil’s contents to a plate and discarded the foil.

less

Serves 4

Ingredients

• 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half moons
  • 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, cored, and sliced thin
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 scallions, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless cod fillets ( about 2 pounds )
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine zucchini, fennel, garlic, scallions, basil, thyme, wine, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in large bowl.

2. Lay four 14-inch-long pieces of foil on work surface. Place one fillet on lower half of each piece of foil and season with salt and pepper. Top each fillet with one-quarter of vegetable mixture and 1 tablespoon butter. Fold foil over fish and vegetables and crimp edges together to form 4 packets.

3. Arrange packets in single layer on rimmed baking sheet and cook until vegetables are tender and fish is just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer packets to individual plates and carefully cut open with scissors, being careful to avoid steam. Serve.

That northern looks delicious! I know the big thing is getting out the y-bones but honestly I don't find it to be much of a hardship to remove them while I'm eating. I like them pan fried as good as anything. 

On 4/20/2016 at 7:40 PM, jmd1 said:

So there's a market for pike down south and they're spendy?  Sounds like a pretty lucrative business venture for a guy that can't keep the hammer-handles off his line :)