• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Forums go dead??

motownmasher

Been noticing the lack of posts, and or new topics.  Nothing!!  No king of the cats this year?   Dtro where did you go?  I must have missed something.

Well anyways,  the water got above 60 on Sunday which has taken me to the river earlier than ever this year.  Of course there isn't much water to warm. Projects around the house will have to wait til the heat of summer now. Fished a few hours during the midafternoon with some cut sucker, but no takers.  Smaller fish (i assume) would constantly tug at the bait, but nothing with enough ambition to peel out the clicker. Anyone having any luck yet.  The forecast looks as though the water will cool some this week, but i'm wide open fishing now.  Good luck to all,

Edited by motownmasher
more to say

Hey Motown,  I hear ya on the forums, things sure have changed on the past few years.   I check back here from time to time, but not very often.  Most all the catfishing traffic and chatter that I participate in has moved over to Facebook groups.  I’ve been out a few times this year and there have been some nice Flats caught but on the slow side so far.

Good to hear from the OG catman.  I was a little concerned something had happened. I've always enjoyed reading the posts, and the detail that you put into them.  Thanks for the reply, and good luck with the season.

Fished three days the past week, which have been less than great.  Water temps now back to the upper 50s, and the optimism grows everyday.  Caught a few channels, one flathead (under 20lbs), and a six pound walleye on cut bait.  That was the first cutbait walleye i've caught.

Big plan is to fish late the next few nights with the temps predicted to stay in the upper 50s for the lows.  It will happen soon. See you all on the river.  (jk as i've only seen one boat this year).

Lots of factors come into play. I have observed decreased activity on other online forums. I use to frequent a couple of black powder boards and they are just dead. 

8 hours ago, Finns said:

Facebook is king?  Must be why things suck!  What happened to 'new content' on this site?

So, what are you doing to contribute?  Staff, moderator, maybe you had something to do with it.   Cooking forum got blown up. Lost a bunch of valuable contributors. Check it out. 

14 hours ago, Finns said:

Facebook is king?  Must be why things suck!  What happened to 'new content' on this site?

Alas, I miss typed.  Facebook sucks.

The 'new content' is very different of late and I'm still trying to grasp all the old content it sometimes shows.

There may be a time when web based message forums make a comeback, but I doubt it.   It’s just evolution.  Eventually something will overtake Facebook as well.  You can either go with the flow or stand your ground and get washed out.    People are even starting to do live streams from their boats.  It’s pretty good entertainment!   Oh by the way, yes the big cats are very active and it’s in full swing.   I’m still looking for a giant, but I had a pretty good night the last time I was out.

49cd7d7d-7512-4f96-af61-450f959ee8c3.jpg

b63d37ae-88fc-4fc5-bdf1-8945a0fb82d8.jpg

I quit when I realized two things:  nobody really gave a shytt what I said and I was tired of dealing with a complete screwball moderator and a couple of his pals. There was no reasonable discussion involved most of the time.

On 5/29/2016 at 0:06 PM, Finns said:

The 'new content' is very different of late and I'm still trying to grasp all the old content it sometimes shows.

The new content view was the only way Id' view the site since it takes too long to click on all the individual forums to see if there is any new content.  It was nice to see each thread that has had new activity in one spot.  Now they list the thread each time a new post is made so if 5 new posts are in that thread you see it listed 5 times instead of just one.  In my opinion it only clutters up the list and leads to new topics being buried quicker.  If someone starts a new thread with great information it can get buried pretty quickly on the New Content list by an active topic in Silly Town that gets 15 new posts in an hour.  Then it looks like the only new content is the typical silly town stuff which doesn't help you maintain a reputation of being a leader in outdoors related information.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
5 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

The new content view was the only way Id' view the site since it takes too long to click on all the individual forums to see if there is any new content.  It was nice to see each thread that has had new activity in one spot.  Now they list the thread each time a new post is made so if 5 new posts are in that thread you see it listed 5 times instead of just one.  In my opinion it only clutters up the list and leads to new topics being buried quicker.  If someone starts a new thread with great information it can get buried pretty quickly on the New Content list by an active topic in Silly Town that gets 15 new posts in an hour.  Then it looks like the only new content is the typical silly town stuff which doesn't help you maintain a reputation of being a leader in outdoors related information.

Great observation. I am checking to see if we can get a way to add this option.

Well, I myself have gathered alot of information on these forums.  I hate to see the big social media hypec and  I've teased my wife for too many years to get on facebook now.  I'll keep checking in hoping for the big comeback.

It's nice to see the giants getting pulled in, however it isn't by me which is getting a little frustrating, but that's fishing.  The river was in the low 70s on Thurs, and guessing it to be closer to 80 by today if not tomorrow.  Hard to sit on the river in this heat, but i've never caught one from the couch.  Good Luck. 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
On 6/6/2016 at 9:30 AM, nofishfisherman said:

Should be fixed now :)

The biggest problem with Facebook based discussion groups is that the info they contain is not organized or easily archived and searchable. My guess is that eventually Facebook will figure this out and change the way their discussion groups work and then that may be the end of web based forums until something else comes along and takes over.

On 6/6/2016 at 8:00 AM, Ufatz said:

I quit when I realized two things:  nobody really gave a shytt what I said and I was tired of dealing with a complete screwball moderator and a couple of his pals. There was no reasonable discussion involved most of the time.

What do you mean "quit"?