• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blofish

Been a visitor to HSO for some time and enjoyed fishing, hunting and misc content. Who knew it'd be the Lawn forum that would finally convince me to create an account. Im looking for feedback from the pro's and/or school of hard knocks guys.

Have a 2+ acre lot and decided to do it myself to save some $ and wanting to learn more about lawn care. So I started on the yard after building late last June.... I know shame on me for not waiting a few more months, but because I had the time, help and was looking to eliminate the mud asap for the young kids sake, so I got after it. 

I installed sprinkler system, sprayed the whole yard twice to kill existing vegetation, and then rented a rototiller and brillion seeder, seeded, applied starter fertilizer and installed erosion blankets in areas of concern. Everything went well, until the multiple 2"+ rainfalls we had within 48 hours of seeding. I could see that much of the seed washed away but I thought there was still enough to be salvaged, after a few weeks I had some new growth going. I did some spot reseeding on a few areas that were clearly a lost cause and had a local company apply a fall application of fertilizer.

That brings us to this spring I am a bit torn on how best to proceed. The lawn is greening up, its not looking as good as some in the area I've seen that were professionally seeded in Sept but that was expected. Still a bit patchy and there are more weeds mixed in than I was hoping for, but I remain optimistic that I can turn it around.

So lets hear your thoughts, what should my plan of attack be this spring and throughout the season?

First of all welcome to HSO. Personally, i think I would start with over seeding again this spring. At least the problem areas then worry about the weeds later. In my time in the golf course & lawn care business the results controlling weeds were much better in the fall, after Labor Day. Of course, since you have a sprinkler system, you could put down a weed & feed now then in 3-4 weeks do some seeding. The daytime temps with the later seeding is my main concern. As with the weed control, we typically had much better results with seeding in the fall as well.

Thanks for the response gunner. I aerated my lawn since my previous post and was weighing just that, over seed then fertilize or try to slow week growth first. I am leaning towards getting some seed down ASAP.

Would dethatching before seeding be beneficial to seed/soil contact?

It really is still a bit early to seed.  I think the soil temp should be around 60 degrees to get the seed to grow.  You can get a fairy cheap thermometer in the household goods section of a store to test it.

I don't think you need to dethatch mostly because you really can't have that much thatch yet.  You really shouldn't have had to aerate yet either since you tilled it up last year.

You didn't reveal where you life and so no one really knows what sort of soil you have.  My recommendation is to go to a local feed mill or garden store and talk to them about what your soil may need for best growth.  They can sell you the correct seed for your conditions - it really makes a difference to get the right kind in the right place and there are a number of different kinds.  They can also tell you what type of fertilizer product(s) you need for your area.  What works in Lino or Blaine may not work for Lakeville or Orono.  Talk to some professionals at a local quality store and follow their advice.  You're not going to learn anything at a big box and may end up wasting a lot of money.

Edited by Tom7227

Blofish, welcome to HSO!  Right now would be a fine time to overseed. Spring rains and warming soil temps will get it growing well. I overseed every Spring. I did mine one week ago, and it  is growing nicely now. Cool season grasses germinate earlier than most people think. At this point, I would spray with a liquid weed killer, if they are up and active.  I personally don't do that, not big on weed killers, because with proper maintenance and mowing you shouldn't need to do that much. But since you are starting basically a new lawn, you need to establish a good base, which includes getting rid of the weeds now. Get rid of them, then by the first week of May (my start times) mix your seed in with a good slow-release granular fertilizer. Put it down at the recommended rate, preferably before expected rains. Over-seed any bare areas. You should be good to go. I've already mowed my lawn twice, and it will need it tomorrow. You can see the new growth coming up along pavers and filling in edge, if you look close.....and no weeds in my lawn. :grin: Good luck, let us know how it goes.

DSC02093.JPG

4 hours ago, RebelSS said:

:grin:         How's the lawn doin', Moon?

This weekend I'll get it shining up... I should write a post about my mower from hell last year... Needless to say I had a 15 year old murray rider that was 100% new by the end of the summer(Except for the chassis and tires) only to find out it was a bad battery!:mad:  My old man would litterally wait by his phone to hear the latest stories on it every night.  Mower is sold and I don't want to push so I'm biting the bullet and buying a new rider this weekend.  I'll be mowing twice a week in no time with the best lawn in the hood again!  If you know a farmer buddy curtail is a gift from god when it comes to getting rid of weeds but need an agg license to buy it.

if you guys were as nice as me you'd have my deal.  My neighbor is a farmer and he thatches, aerates, fertilizes 4-5 times a year, sprays broadleaf and mows...my lawn.  Yes, my lawn.  He used to do everything but mow but my mower was acting up and he told me he'd take care of it.  I pay his college kid a couple hundred a Summer and I plow the neighbors driveway in the Winter.  He also arranges the sprinkler system to be blown out every year.  He's a great guy.  

In general it looks like Augusta National and I do nothing.  It's like I'm in a union.

all the stuff comes from the Co-op so I'm sure it's that stuff.  I forgot to add his dad owns a John Deere dealership so the mower isn't exactly a low end unit.  Of course he bags the stuff.  What a guy.

58 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I just mowed it...perfect!  Yes, that's me...aka Walt. GET AWAY FROM MY LAWN!!! I love my lawn.   Del, you can drive by and stare in awe, I won't charge ya this time.  :grin:

DSC02098.JPG

I go by a few like that on my neighborhood walk.   Nicely aligned perennials also. 

Can't drive by since I have no location.   I went to whitepages.com and rebelss was not found.  I tried googling it and all I got were nazis from Georgia and Alabama.  :lol:

20 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Farmers have the best stuff.  One gallon of curtail every 3-4 years split into about 4 mason jars and me and the folks have years of weed killer that takes weeds down in less than a day.  Just wish it was over the counter.

Ah, Grasshopper.  It is. 

http://www.hsolist.com/itm/like/121568223479?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Cody is generic Curtail. 

For those with big lawns or lots of friends.... the economy 2.5 gallon size.

http://www.solutionsstores.com/curtail-herbicide-cody-clopyralid?gdftrk=gdfV27229_a_7c825_a_7c2076_a_7cALLI24&gclid=CIGB1MbToMwCFQepaQodLzsFSg

Or like younger peoples Don Quixote stories. Now that we have non-essential opinions out of the way, let's hope blofish will be able to report back in a couple weeks with a yard fulla grass! Uh, guess I'd better clarify that.... a yard full of new cool-season grasses. :grin:  Let us know how things turn out, blofish.