• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bought my first wheeler

AlwaysFishing23

I own a 2000 325 magnum has just shy of 6000 miles on it. It's been a great machine and yes cold blooded as heck also. Pretty much just use it for plowing driveway and visiting the neighbors now. Just a word of advise though if it has zerks on all the shafts and stuff make sure to keep them greased good. My 2000 has about 6 or 8 on it. They may have eliminated them by 2005 I am not sure. 

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I grease things and take care of my stuff besides all the snow she looks like the day she came home. Pretty much perfect shape yet. It’s a 2005. One on each shaft coupling 3-4 I believe that’s about it. What kind of miles will these machine run up to just curious only got 853 on it now.

I change the oil once a year and use synthetic. Get a good quality filter. Make sure the air filter is clean. Keep an eye on the boots cause if you get a hole on them dirt gets in an u-joints can fail quickly. Once we went through a water hole and when we came out the other side my buddies Polaris was jerking the handle bars side to side. We limped it back and found a cracked boot and a little mud got in.   Also pays to keep it hooked up to a trickle charger to preserve your battery. They especially get drained down using the winch plowing.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:05 PM, rumeye said:

I own a 2000 325 magnum has just shy of 6000 miles on it. It's been a great machine and yes cold blooded as heck also. Pretty much just use it for plowing driveway and visiting the neighbors now. Just a word of advise though if it has zerks on all the shafts and stuff make sure to keep them greased good. My 2000 has about 6 or 8 on it. They may have eliminated them by 2005 I am not sure. 

Whats your defiention of cold blooded? Mine anything below 40f it’s a pain to get running it will fire but takes some cranking to get to stay running if it’s below 10f it needs a shot of juice to get it going it seems like these units were jetted to lean from factory for colder weather. Just checking if I’m the only one with this Issue.

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

seems like these units were jetted to lean from factory for colder weather

The 325's were jetted lean from the factory. Any of those in stock form always feel like they are being held back when you ride them

Next time you go for a ride, try slowly adding some choke. This will add fuel to the system and maybe help the issue. The jetting leaves a lot to be desired on those.  Proper jetting, and a good quality clean air filter will help a lot. 

19 minutes ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Whats your defiention of cold blooded? Mine anything below 40f it’s a pain to get running it will fire but takes some cranking to get to stay running if it’s below 10f it needs a shot of juice to get it going it seems like these units were jetted to lean from factory for colder weather. Just checking if I’m the only one with this Issue.

I had a 2003 330 Magnum and even in the summer it needed a minute to warm up or it would die. It was that way from day one when new until I sold it. It ran great once warmed up, but that is why I never tried to use it in the winter and have a sled instead for ice fishing.

Exactly.... but sleds don’t work the best when it’s 45 degrees. I’ve gotten it down now once started leave warm up not touching choke or throttle for 5 ish minutes depending on the temps.

I talked to my local dealer yesterday and they said ooh yes definetly there’s an issue so I was debating bringing it in. Well obviously it’s nothing out of the ordinary and no need to pour hundreds of dollars into it for a common issue. Thanks for the reassurance gentleman.

7 minutes ago, rumeye said:

Cold blooded meaning you have to let it warm up with choke on for 4 or 5 minutes then it's fine.

I have never had any motor that would run for 4-5 minutes with the choke full on after starting it. If it does it has a air leak somewhere? 

Cold blooded as in the motor needs to warm up to a point where it will burn fuel well without the use of the choke.

could be fuel filter or maybe sticking float in the carb?

another easy thing to check is for a vacuum leak from a bad carb boot or intake gasket.  You could spray carb cleaner around the boot and intake gasket, if that raises your RPM then you found your air leak. Or make sure its clamped down well. I have seen some where it appears to be tight but rust over time strips out the clamp and causes a air leak.

btw those carbs are very sensitive to air changes so even a small leak will cause those symptoms.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I have never had any motor that would run for 4-5 minutes with the choke full on after starting it. If it does it has a air leak somewhere? 

Cold blooded as in the motor needs to warm up to a point where it will burn fuel well without the use of the choke.

I have not either. My dads sportsmen no matter how cold will stall with full choke no matter how cold after a minute or two. Sounds like a leak to me.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:28 PM, Macgyver55 said:

The cover just snaps off in 2 seconds and the primer is not really needed very often?

Hey Mac, after this cold winter I just wanted to say thanks again for some great advice! Even in the minus teens and 20's, I gotta say that with the primer this Foreman starts as good as a fuel injected atv! No chit! I can't believe I didn't know this earlier. And I don't have to take the cover off, it is pretty easy reach in there, and two-three pumps and it starts on first turn of the key every time :)

Glad your first atv is going well for you AlwaysFishing!

Well I wasn’t going to do any fluid changes untill next fall but it’s been a little more than a year and I just clicked 1k miles. About 30-40 hours since last oil change. I think I’m just going to do it. So last time I just took it to a dealer but it’s expensive, the machine is gone for at least a week and it’s a hassle to deal with dropping off and picking up. So I think I’m going to try it myself. I’ve changed oil on things many times before so this isn’t anything new. I’m going to get ahold of my dealer and see what I need and have them walk me through the steps. I want to change the oil, the front and rear gear case oil and I’d like to do the transmission fluid also. I also just saw Polaris has a deal now through the 1st of oct for $10 off an oil change kit. So I think I just need an oil change kit and a quart of gearcase oil? I also have a new spark plug I’ll through in and go through the machine like I always do every few months. I know @leech~~ had a magnum what did you always do for maintence? 

1 hour ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Well I wasn’t going to do any fluid changes untill next fall but it’s been a little more than a year and I just clicked 1k miles. About 30-40 hours since last oil change. I think I’m just going to do it. So last time I just took it to a dealer but it’s expensive, the machine is gone for at least a week and it’s a hassle to deal with dropping off and picking up. So I think I’m going to try it myself. I’ve changed oil on things many times before so this isn’t anything new. I’m going to get ahold of my dealer and see what I need and have them walk me through the steps. I want to change the oil, the front and rear gear case oil and I’d like to do the transmission fluid also. I also just saw Polaris has a deal now through the 1st of oct for $10 off an oil change kit. So I think I just need an oil change kit and a quart of gearcase oil? I also have a new spark plug I’ll through in and go through the machine like I always do every few months. I know @leech~~ had a magnum what did you always do for maintence?

My routing was keep all the drive train zerks greased every few outings, change oil & filter yearly and front and rear diff by-yearly unless I did a lot of swamp running.  There are a bunch of helpful videos on the Tube. 

Sounds like I’m right on track. I’ll just get everything I need now. Think I’ll wait till next spring for engine oil but I’ll do front and rear diffs now as well as the tranny. I’ll grease everything to that hasen’t been done for a while. For the front diff change did you need to pull the front tire off like the maual says to? Not going to lie that manual is pretty fauge.