• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chicken

6 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I don't really drink beer but have a 6 pac of bottles in the basement to make Beer batter. Do you think a bottle will work up a chicken butt? :lol:

If ya shake it up real good first, then stick it up there, it might make it run around the yard real fast...*BAGAAAWK!*    :lol:

The only problem I have with the beer can chicken is that my old Weber doesn't have enough clearance for me to put the cover on with the bird sitting on a can. The only way I can do it is if I put it in the propane grill with top rack removed.

I few years ago I stumbled upon this great grilled chicken method (see link). I've tested it many times and am a believer:  http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/the-food-lab-how-to-grill-a-whole-chicken.html

2 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

The only problem I have with the beer can chicken is that my old Weber doesn't have enough clearance for me to put the cover on with the bird sitting on a can. The only way I can do it is if I put it in the propane grill with top rack removed.

I few years ago I stumbled upon this great grilled chicken method (see link). I've tested it many times and am a believer:  http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/the-food-lab-how-to-grill-a-whole-chicken.html

That's the Spatchcocked method RH1 was talking about above. Lots of people use it for Turkeys. 

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I don't really drink beer but have a 6 pac of bottles in the basement to make Beer batter. Do you think a bottle will work up a chicken butt? :lol:

No.  You don't want to eat chicken full of broken glass.  Those bottles are not heat safe.  

But you could use a pop can or even an empty green bean can.  or you could do wine chicken like I saw on tv yesterday.   Steven Raichlen (spelling? Boar can fix it)

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

No.  You don't want to eat chicken full of broken glass.  Those bottles are not heat safe. 

But you could use a pop can or even an empty green bean can.  or you could do wine chicken like I saw on tv yesterday.   Steven Raichlen (spelling? Boar can fix it)

Daa-Del.  That was said for effect.  It seemed to have work! ;)

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

A guy never knows around here.   There are always the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd around.

Del, I thing I was may be 18-19 when I learned that it is really hard to make an ash tray out of a beer bottle in a fire pit without it breaking! Tried many, many times! :P

1 minute ago, leech~~ said:

Del, I thing I was may be 18-19 when I learned that it is really hard to make an ash tray out of a beer bottle in a fire pit without it breaking! Tried many, many times! :P

Many many times?  Slow learner you are?   Good thing I reminded you. 

7 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Many many times?  Slow learner you are?   Good thing I reminded you.

Well, at 18-19 down by the river Sat night weren't we all? I'm just glad I don't have any other kids running around that I don't know about yet! Yes I learned a lot in high school down by the river! ;)

Not to brag but when you read some guys with a tag "In a van down by the river" I had a van in high school-down by the river! :D

Edited by leech~~

9 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Well, at 18-19 down by the river Sat night weren't we all? I'm just glad I don't have any other kids running around that I don't know about yet! Yes I learned a lot in high school down by the river! ;)

Not to brag but when you read some guys with a tag "In a van down by the river" I had a van in high school-down by the river! :D

I had a Polar bear fastback! ;) 

One question, people always talk/rave about 'spatch-cocking' a chicken or turkey, doesn't that dry it out?? Whats the advantage of doing it that way?? As I mentioned earlier, one of the reasons I like doing my chickens whole is that the white meat stays moist.

All this talk about chicken, and watching the warm weather forecast, think I'll take a chicken out of the freezer tonight so I can rotisserie on Sunday. :)

22 hours ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Read the post from Skunked again, it say it allows to the chicken to cook more evenly, so the breast meat does not over cook.

Looks delicious Blackjack, you've got to love that performer!

1 hour ago, reinhard1 said:

How about some pulled chicken.  Here are some pics from my page on how I make pulled chicken.  Good luck.

img_000133.jpg

I put my rub on the whole birds and cover them with bacon and tie the wings and legs.  I put the rub under the skin, on top of the skin, and some on top of the bacon.

img_000425.jpg

Put them in the smoker at the top temp, 275 deg.

img_000621.jpg

Here are the birds when done.  The bacon is nice and crisp.  I let the birds rest under foil a bit to cool down for pulling.  That bacon not only keeps the birds moist but I cut it up and put it right into the pulled pork mix.

img_001012.jpg

Here is the chicken pulled and mixed with my sauce and the bacon.  You just want to put enough sauce in the mix to get the flavors to meld.  I don't like pulled pork or chicken drowning in sauce.  Then the sauce overpowers the taste of the smoke chicken.  I serve the pulled chicken with extra sauce on the side for those who want it.

img_00146.jpg

And what would pulled chicken or pork be without some great slaw on top.  I make my own Asian slaw for this.

img_001310.jpg

Close up shot.  I like to brown the buns in a pan with butter.

And you talk about MY cheeseburgers taunting you??!?!?!?!  This pic outta be banned!!!!!!  :P

Looks great Blackjack!!!  I also spatchcock my chickens at times.  For me it allows me to season the chicken evenly and the chicken does stay moist.  Of course it's done on in-direct heat on the grill.  I love it in the smoker as well.  Spatchcocking allowes you to sauce both sides if you wish and I often spray brandy/apple juice mix on both sides as it smokes or grills.  That spraying of juices keeps the meat more moist as well.  Another thing to do is to Brine the chicken [whole or spatchcock] and you will even get the chicken more moist plus add extra flavor.  good luck.

15 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Read the post from Skunked again, it say it allows to the chicken to cook more evenly, so the breast meat does not over cook.

Read that other link on grilling chicken, he made a good point on doing the chicken first on the cool side and then on the hot side later to crisp it up after the fat has rendered off.  Thats the thing about bone-in chicken thighs, sometimes you do have to render the fat off - but that extra fat/moisture is what makes them good!!! :)

8 minutes ago, reinhard1 said:

Looks great Blackjack!!!  I also spatchcock my chickens at times.  For me it allows me to season the chicken evenly and the chicken does stay moist.  Of course it's done on in-direct heat on the grill.  I love it in the smoker as well.  Spatchcocking allowes you to sauce both sides if you wish and I often spray brandy/apple juice mix on both sides as it smokes or grills.  That spraying of juices keeps the meat more moist as well.  Another thing to do is to Brine the chicken [whole or spatchcock] and you will even get the chicken more moist plus add extra flavor.  good luck.

I might have to try a spatch-cock chicken some day but with that rotisserie, the constant turning which is self-basting, and the pan of water underneath, they turn out very moist and cooked through-out. And the chickens nowadays are so young that it doesn't take that long, most are done in under two hours.  I keep a thermometer handy and start checking after an hour.

That brining thing is debatable in my mind, not sure if its worth the extra time and effort. I've done it both ways and have never really noticed the difference as far as a moist chicken.  Then again I watch my chickens like hawk and make sure I don't overcook.  I may have to do two chickens side by side, brine one and not brine the other.