• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Secret Food Tips

maybe a spot here for discoveries you've made over the years you'd like to share.  First one comes to mind is Jimmy Johns day old bread.  It's 50 cents and huge and is very tasty.  Tonight I picked it up to make sandwiches at home but sometimes we pick it up just to use as french bread.  It tastes fresh made to me.

This isn't a secret, but I've got three stages of banana ripeness:

1) Early-to-Ripe:  Perfect for eating

2) Just Past Ripe:  Perfect for mashing into an Elvis sandwich (fried peanut butter & banana - don't forget the bacon, honey, etc.)

3) Way Past Ripe (mostly black):  Put in the freezer for banana bread or banana cake

'No banana shall ever go to waste again!'

Not a secret to those in the know but most people are still perplexed by both the procedure and the name: Spatchcock.

Let your poultry dry out uncovered with some salt on the skin in the fridge for a day.  Wipe off and use as desired for crispier skin and more flavorful meat. 

Get the brownest, ugliest and oldest top shelf steaks at the supermarket, and see if you can get a manager's discount on them. Red steaks sell better but brown ones are already aged a bit and will be more tender.

Season your steaks as desired and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a day or 2.  Flip them twice a day for more tender steak.

Rinse off cheap Hormel "always tender" ribs a few times in clean water before prepping them, and use a low salt rub or they tend to get "hammy."

Steaming eggs is faster and easier than boiling.  Use a steam basket in a large saucepan and add enough water to get to the bottom of the basket.  Get the water boiling in the empty pan, add the eggs and cover on heat for 12 minutes.  Cool and use as desired.

Wow - I got all the way to the eggs in McGurk's post before I realized that wasn't just one recipe. I kept thinking....poulty, steak, ribs, and now we're adding eggs to this thing, what a concoction! Woah...!!

Has anyone heard of poking a hole in an egg?!? Is that a secret :D

Edited by SkunkedAgain

9 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Wow - I got all the way to the eggs in McGurk's post before I realized that wasn't just one recipe. I kept thinking....poulty, steak, ribs, and now we're adding eggs to this thing, what a concoction! Woah...!!

Has anyone heard of poking a hole in an egg?!? Is that a secret :D

yea I think I heard something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

1 hour ago, SkunkedAgain said:

Re-reading it, it does look like it could be one long recipe!  Oops! I guess I should have used bullet points..  

That would make for some serious protein: Turkey, Steak, Ribs, and Eggs all at the same time! Spatchcock indeed!