• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many "bass" guys, fish trout?

rascal23

Curious to know how many of you guys also fish trout. I know, wrong forum.  This time of year, I get bit by the trout bug. If you like using jerkbaits on bass, you can carry that over to the streams for trout. I fish a minnowbait/jerkbait for trout almost exclusive, mixed with a spinner or jig once in awhile. It's a great time of year to get out in the woods and walk some trout stream. Makes April go by real fast.    They sure were hitting today.:grin: 

Ever since I first started trout fishing in Wisconsin 2 years ago, my boat has been seeing less and less time on the water :P and with the short winter this season, I got onto the streams even earlier. I prefer using rebel craws and frogs on streams, as opposed to rapalas, but on lakes little shad raps and floating minnows are a must!

I don't label myself other than I'm a fisherman, average about 12 different species a year.

I'll fish trout in streams in April, in lakes up in the Bdub, and thru the ice.

But most of the time during open water I'll chase bass because that's what's available in decent numbers and size in the metro. Heck, even up north because they don't get pressured as much. Walleye fishing can get boring at times. ;)

I figure the more different species of fish that you fish for, the better all around fisherman you become, because you can apply methods that might be associated with one species towards another species and have surprising results.

Case in point....... a few years ago I was using a looper bug under a clear float on Lake Michigan carp fishing (killing time in between salmon charters) with great success. That's clear water trout tactics. The local corn boys kept coming over to see what I was using for bait. ;)

Stream fishing trout in April is my way to welcome spring. And I know both boat and canoe fishing are not that far off.

I've been away from the trout thing for...longer than I care to admit, but kind of getting back into it again this year. I'll be at it all next week out in the Black Hills actually. Haven't fished Spearfish Creek in about 30 years, and I'm really looking forward to it. (Actually that's kind of an understatement. I've been useless at work all week with trout on the brain.)

More of a flyfishing guy when it comes to stream trout, but I'll toss spinning gear at 'em too. 

I spent quite a few years fishing one species almost to the point of exclusion, but gradually realized I was really missing out on a lot of fun fishing. Now try to fish for as many species as I can. Did everything from muskies to flyrod carp last season. Hope to do the same this year, but adding stream trout to the mix besides. 

Outstanding!      JB, what kind of frog? Sounds interesting. I have a Yozuri pins minnow tied on 95% of the time - works too good.  Cut my teeth on Panther Martins and will usually get wet at least once an outing.

Duff, what more can I say than ditto, ditto, ditto.

RK, April brings trout brain - drain, though I'm trying to throw some river bass and walleye into the mix.

lookincal,  love the "bago" 

Me and a number of buddies have been doing an annual trout trip to SE MN for the past 30 years or so. Mostly Whitewater, sometimes Forestville or Beaver Creek.  Camping and troutin' in april down there ranks right up at the top.  If anybody needs any info on Whitewater,let me know - I've covered nearly all of south, middle, north, and main branches.   Fav:  north, deep in.

Steelhead? not yet, but it's on the bucket list.

Picked up fly fishing 18 months ago when I moved to NE Iowa (Drifless Region)... a lot fun. Joined the local Trout Unlimited Chapter when I first moved here and a couple guys took me under their wing and I have been fishing Trout year around.  It's a great change of pace but still prefer bass.

Rascal, I use the smallest size rebel frog, dark green body with yellow belly. Just about exact size and appearance of all the frogs I see hopping all over the place while I'm walking the creek banks. The one downside of the small rebel lures, is that the treble hooks have a tendency to tangle up to each other almost constantly. I can't believe I've never thought of this before, but on my next outing, I'm going to take off the front hooks, as the trout are almost always hooked by the back treble anyway. These lures are only going to get better in the next few weeks as the weather warms, and the frogs and crayfish start getting active.