• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team Knock on Wood

DonBo

Tom at about 300 yards gobbling at me but wanting me to come to him. Contours prevent him from seeing decoys. Stands in one spot for a good 10 minutes whenever I call. Going to go silent on him and hope his curiosity kills him.

6 minutes ago, DonBo said:

Good luck PFUNK.  If they're gobbling this time of day, they usually want you to shoot them.  Hope for an update soon, with pics!

I agree.  Be patient.

Well he hasnt moved in an hour now. Throws up the fan, gobbles, struts around but just wont budge. Getting antsy wanting to make a play on him as i can slip out the door of the blind right into the woods and try to make a move to get in close, but part of me is telling me to wait him out. I'm torn because the next wave of rain could really mess with me and its on the way. Gonna wait him out as patience usually proves to be the right move, as you guys hinted at.

Edited by PFUNK

Turns out there was a hen or two with him which is why he wouldnt budge i suppose. Glad i didnt try to put a move on when there were more sets of eyes. Pulled one hen away which was moving towards me last i saw but i think he has another one with him that I can't see. Hoping he gets tired of striking out with her and comes to investigate.

That hen is now in my decoys picking fights with my avian x hen.  Gobbler stayed put so there is almost certainly still one hen with him.

Well she successfully beat it to the ground and is standing over it picking at it. Tom was able to see part of this go down and is starting this way now across a plowed

Tom never came in. I eventually made a move to go to him in the evening because he wasnt budging. Didnt get him. I'm in a different spot this morning. Had 6 hens and 3 toms on the field but a thunderstorm is rolling through now and they retreated into cover. 

Thanks everybody! I will definitely come back with pictures and more info later tonight but have to head to work now. Glad I got him early so I wouldn't be in a huge rush. You're right Walli, he is better than decent. In fact, he is my biggest one in the 5 years I have hunted so it was definitely worth the wait! I think I was measuring wrong on one spur the first go around because I was measuring at a bit of a diagonal due to the hook on it and I think the tape was up against the leg instead of where the skin on the spur starts. So, on second measurement I am going to call it 1 1/16" for the second spur. 

Now I can't wait for turkey enchiladas in a day or two! Glad I was able to put one down for the team. Let's keep it going and win this thing!

Got dump scared out of me!! The neighbor guys brother came up behind my blind and says hey your trespassing I jumped up who blank are you. He goes on to tell me leave his brothers land. Should of seen his face when I jumped out of my blind. I think he had a turd pop into his shorts. I explained he was trespassing and thanked him kindly for making my hunt. He then tells me his brother will plowing the whole field under. Even where my blind is. I showed him to property line and said leave and do not come back. I tied my blind down real good and called the dnr for hunter harassment.