• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 2016 ml Smallmouth Regs

RuddyDuck

What's everyone think of the new Mille Lacs Smallie regs?  Wish the launches still couldn't use live bait.

New Smallie regs:

Bass regulations compromise

Anglers can keep four bass in any combination of largemouth and smallmouth, down from last year’s limit of six fish. The new regulations add a requirement that all fish 17-21 inches be immediately released, and the length restriction for the largest fish an angler may keep increased from 18 to 21 inches.

The early harvest offered on Mille Lacs also was eliminated, requiring that – like the rest of the state – all bass caught during the first two weeks of the season be immediately released.

Mille Lacs’ exemption to the statewide fall closure of the smallmouth bass season remains, meaning that anglers may keep smallmouth bass they catch on Mille Lacs through Feb. 28, 2017.

DNR changed the regulation to balance bass angling groups’ call for stricter regulations to protect Mille Lacs Lake’s world-class smallmouth fishery with the desire and need to provide anglers opportunities to harvest fish.

“Bass regulations are a compromise,” Pereira said. “Last year’s regulations were biologically sound but it was important that DNR also factor in the emerging social aspects in this year’s regulations.”

The ability to exempt large bass tournaments from the size regulation and bag limits remains.

Edited by RuddyDuck

At first I was like hell yeah but the more I think about it, it really isn't that great. It's a start but the comment the DNR made about the smallie regs really had me shaking my head. 

“Bass regulations are a compromise,” Pereira said. “Last year’s regulations were biologically sound but it was important that DNR also factor in the emerging social aspects in this year’s regulations.”

To me that makes it sound like they don't agree with the new regs and wish it could be what it was. They are not listening to any of the recommendations by the smallmouth guys. A lot of guys have been pushing for reg changes to keep the smallie fishery worldclass and the DNR does not see that. 

Wait Launches can still use live bait? I was happy to hear that rule thinking I wouldnt have to watch Twin Pines launches pull up, toss out bobbers and keep every smallie they pulled up. If they are going to impose no livebait rules it should apply to everyone.

I imagine that they let launches use livebait to keep business going. Which is incredibly dumb. They're trading their future on the lake for a few months of business now. If they used common sense, they'd switch over to lure fishing and teach their clients how to fish artificial baits.  

TurnUp TheFishing, I agree. I went out on a Twin Pines launch last summer, and was appalled. They kept every bass they could (except the ones I caught - I threw them back before they noticed I had a fish). They had at least 20 fish between 10 people fishing. I will admit that they were good tasting fish. But that intensity of harvest - at least 5 fish a day, every day for three months - is unsustainable. It boggles my mind.

I assume if all they have to do to use live bait is keep track of the fish, then they will do that. Maybe there is a limited number of permits for this. Also, to be fair, from what I read, not all the launches are catch and keep on smallies. There are some good ones out there.

Here's the part about the launches and bait:

(Part of the information collection aspect of the research program will allow Mille Lacs’ fishing launches to be exempt from the live bait restriction.

“Anglers fish close together on launches, making it extremely difficult to safely cast artificial lures rather than dropping baited lines into the water,” Pereira said. “Since the DNR needs more data to refine its hooking mortality standards, asking launches to provide this data will allow a traditional, popular and enjoyable method of fishing on Mille Lacs to continue.”

Launch operators receiving a permit can use live bait provided they agree to participate in efforts to collect data from fishing trips, launch customers and cooperate with the hooking mortality study. Their permits would be suspended if walleye fishing on Mille Lacs has to be closed.)

Here's the link to all the new regs: http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2016/03/21/2016-mille-lacs-regulations-designed-to-keep-walleye-fishing-open/

Yes the regs are different for the big tournament in September for BASS. The DNR did address that in the statement that they made the other morning. BASS and other big tournaments will have a special permit that gives them the right to keep 5 fish in their livewells and they will be able to cull. 

10 hours ago, thatoneguy said:

I assume the North Star Bass Cats chapter derby will qualify as a "big event" so we don't have to abide by the new regs?
:D

I wouldn't assume anything.  Do some research and find out for sure.  My bass club made that mistake and scheduled a tournament for May 21st on Mille Lacs this year;  Club won't be doing that and will probably swear off Mille Lacs altogether.

I was totally joking. We will have maybe 20 boats for the derby, so I am guessing we will have to abide by the weird regs. It's a two-person deal, though, so hopefully they will structure it so teams just weigh their best 5 (between the two anglers per boat).

I would totally move the tourney then. If you can only keep 2 total fish over 17" between the two of you it's not even worth fishing a tourney on that lake unless you get the permit. I suppose you can go for largemouth like most the tournaments that have been held there in the past. 

I agree. The only hitch is that FM-Millelacs's puts it all together, along with a test-drive thing the following day, which makes Mille Lacs awfully convenient. We'll see...maybe it's a deal where you get three good green fish and then hunt for a 7 lb smallie :)

On 3/23/2016 at 3:49 PM, thatoneguy said:

I assume the North Star Bass Cats chapter derby will qualify as a "big event" so we don't have to abide by the new regs?
:D

Going to need the Special Exemption Permit.

unless it is 75 boats for a single day or 50 boats for a multiple day tournament it most likley will not happen.