• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On the water 2016

Just been paddling when I've had the yak out.  Fishing has been confined to a loud boat due to either having company or being on a mission to figure out a local lake I've been waiting a year to fish.

Quick evening paddles are still nice though.

image.jpeg

In fact, I think I just got in the mood for another.  Will have to walk down to my parking spot.  Dinner is done and my wife is at work.

image.jpeg

Well, bring a couple rods with if you do.

I'm gonna head out again for a bit now, this time with a depth finder.  I need to dial in on the deep hole a little better.  Last night on my first drift I put my first yak fish in da boat.

image.jpeg

He was a little better sized than the pic shows.  My foot is just too close to the picture maker.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Well I have two things from the last couple hours that make me say "Hmmmm..."

One, 

image.jpeg

And two - whatever it is.  ???  Anyone??

image.jpeg

It was one BIG, dead bug.

Sure...that's a Dobsonfly. :sick: Larvae of these are those ugly but great for bait Hellgrammites. 

Fished the city lakes yesterday after work, hard for me to pass up that location. I'm dipping a paddle within 20 minutes of turning off the light in my office. And I can fish four different lakes without getting out of the boat.

Rigged up 4 rods.....topwater, crankbait, spinnerbait, and a rubber worm. Caught fish on all.

Half a dozen small bass, and a 7ish lb pike.

The muskies must keep the hammerhandles at bay, because the only pike I've ever caught out there were in between 6-13 lbs. But I only catch a couple a year on the city lakes.

Still waiting for the first muskie to appear this year, tiger or pure.....it doesn't matter.  :)

Made it out after work yesterday, caught a small bass on my second cast........which usually spells doom for the rest of the outing.  :)

And then caught a 25" walleye a tad later. Seeing that I've never caught an open water walleye on the city lakes, it was quite the surprise. Smacked a DT10 crankbait. Besides being over my personal length limit for keeping, can you imagine the amount of PFC's in that thing? She's still swimming.

It's nice that the summer is coming to a close, not a lot of traffic on the water. I'll probably ramp up my trips out there in September and October. My favorite time of the year.

IMG_20160830_161210_857.jpg

Sometimes ya just need to let the paddle rest. :)

Took the hound and the Mrs. on a trip last week. Decent weather and a few fish.

Gotta remember that I must approach the boat hook set and the canoe hook set differently, snapped a rod in half...........sounded like a .22 going off. And the line snapped as well. :(

IMG_20160910_140132_261.jpg

IMG_20160909_093439_353.jpg

I thought I'd check in.  Kinda lost track of yakking in the late summer.

Anyone been out in this late season water?  I might splash the yak one last time this weekend - if only to say I did it in December.

Two weeks ago I took a slide down the snowy bank and in the drink for a paddle. The day didn't strike a person as yak time but it was a good paddle. 

IMG_1209.JPG

That was about 6 inches of snow.  I wish we had another fresh coating for the weekend.

My last kayak adventure was less than stellarIMG_4226.JPGIMG_4227.JPG

wound up in the drink. And it was a cold drink at that. A very memorable paddle up to that point. It was the first time I had ever been on the water with snow on everything. It was awesome. 

Alas, my 'yaks are all put up for the season now. Waiting for next years adventures to begin.