• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seems that prior to dumping 8000 trout into lake mary south of flagstaff, they GFD did not test the O2 levels in the deep water.  So off they go, dump all these fish in and guess what over 2000 killed in minutes.  GFD decided since the O2 level is low they are going to hold off stocking any more fish until levels are tested in deeper water not from the surface.  So a quick guess of 2.00 per fish is so again the outdoor users will pay the hick up on this deal.  

that's too bad.  I'm curious on this because our cabin is on a super deep lake and for years they stocked lake trout and not until recently did they report the lake trout stocking would end due to low levels of oxygen in the deep water.   I'm curious if it's rare to have oxygen levels in deep sections of lake not checked?

To me it's like people always talking about lake temperatures when it's the top 3 inches of water the reading is taking place.  

Link to the Flagstaff news and one for AZ GFD.

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Fish-kill-temporarily-hampers-angling-at-Lower-Lake-Mary-in-Flagstaff.shtml

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/enviro/thousands-of-fish-found-dead-in-lower-lake-mary/article_adcb9d72-d37f-51db-9049-ed37bab61149.html

So what i gather from reports, the gfd, who does a great job in our state, only checked the surface oxygen.  This lake is long and narrow, basically it is a river so has a deep center channel.  With the cold temps and good snow, the ice in the deeper areas did not allow the sun to penetrate down to where the photosynthesis could take place.  I think if they would have waited 3 weeks, for temps to come up and clear skies to show it would have been a different story.  

The lake is a great place to fish from shore, the only down side is has no HP rating so big boats can rip back and forth.  My son and i go up to catch snot rockets and walleye, regs have no limits, kill or release is the only thing.  Non native species for our area.  I do know a biologist for gfd that may be able to yield a bit light on the subject.  Just let me know.  Jeff

35°04'13.58" N 111°31'15.10" W are the coordinates for this lake, don't laugh when you see it and say it is a puddle, it is a big lake for us.