• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Honda question

Bertner

I'm looking to buy a used Honda ATV.  Here's my question.  I'm wondering which unit you guys think would be a better purchase.  2006 Foreman 500 ES in Excellent shape with 800 miles OR 2012  Foreman 500ES Excellent condition with 1900 miles.  This is to be used on our farm doing daily chores driven by myself and my wife.  This will not be used for trail riding (other than around the farm) or any kind of mudding.  The 2006 costs $4400.00 and the 2012 is $5000.00.  This will be my 1st ATV purchase so I am trying to make the best decision I can..  I appreciate ANY input

I used to have a 1998 Honda foreman 450S, and if you're looking at a utility ATV like you are I would definitely go with a Honda.  Between the 2, does one have a locking front differential (true 4x4)?  The reason I ask is the '98 I had it said it was 4x4, but when the rear tires started slipping (if I was pulling something heavy) only 1 front tire would have power, and it was always the one that had the least amount of traction.  I ended up getting rid of mine because of that, and went with a bigger ATV with real 4x4.

my '09 honda foreman has a straight rear axle so I'm guessing the '06 does? Does the '12? Straight axle I believe can haul more weight vs independent rear suspension.  Also, those ES models had a bad year or two and not sure which ones..make sure they shift properly.  But given what you said, I'd purchase the '12. Honda's make the best ATV in regards to reliability. Our '98 has never seen a shop or needed work done! 

I have a '03 450 ES with about 1k miles. I use it ice fishing, hauling stuff, very little trail riding. I did have some issues with the ES but found that it really needs a well charged battery and it works great. I now keep it on a tender when I am not there, and it works great, about 99% of the time. When super cold, like -10, I do need it to warm up a bit if it has been sitting out, before the ES will kick in. There is a setting I need to check and adjust but I have not done it yet.

It is tough, tows/pulls a ton, and I use mine like a pack mule :)  Our farmer friends in NoDak only use hondas for their work atv's on a big farm, that and JD Gators, but they have a Canam and Polaris but they never use those for working, just for playing, as they told us they couldn't depend on them.... not that I know other than what they tell us. They use the ES models, but the newer one has ES and auto, and boy is that nice to drive! Smooth and light and nimble and tough.

I like mine, but if wanting to trail ride I would get something else, mine ain't a smooth rider with that solid rear axle and heavy drop-basket on rear, haha! Good luck.

FWIW, I had choice of two, a 03 and 04, with the 03 having only like 70 miles or something - I took the older but fewer miles one.

I would look at both. Providing they are both in excellent shape I would go with whichever you can get a better deal on. There were very little if any change from 2006 to 2012. Without seeing them I would go for the 2006 because it has less miles. But both are pretty low for a Honda. I personally have a 1997 Foreman 400 and I would never part with it. Honda makes the most bullet proof quad on the market PERIOD!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Update: after looking at some used machines I have decided to spend a little more and get a new one. Going with a 2016 Rancher.  Thanks again for all the replies.