• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Pectoral Experiment

I'm talking Beef here.  Pectoral cuts are near the rib plate and front shoulder.  The only time you see it is when it's cut up as stew meat and sometimes even as stir fry meat.  As a cut it looks like a brisket with the same grain lines, which are very defined.  Friends with butchers is a good thing.  I asked if I could buy a slab of it and he said sure.  "what are you going to do with it"? he say's.  Not sure, i responded, but I just wanted  to give it a try.   Make it like a brisket?  That crossed my mind.  But the meat has other potential.  Being that it is near the plate, I'm thinking Kalbi ribs but only boneless.  So I made a double batch of my Korean Kalbi marinade.  I sliced the meat against the grain in half to 3/4 inch slices.  It's not uniform in thickness, from about 2 1/2 inches to an inch or less at the ends.  No problem in strips.  I will prepare them on the grill the same way I do the bone in Kalbe rib strips.  Those are cut "flanken" style about 1/2 inch thick or a little less from the beef plate [short ribs].  Over direct heat but elevated some over the coals.  Beer in one hand and tongs in the other hand to keep turning the strips.  Only about a couple of minutes or so on each side.  We will see later today how they turn out.  good luck.

IMG_0011.jpg.f3d7edfad617c0e589e70224229

This is the piece of pectoral.  You can see the grains that run through just like a brisket.  Weighs about 4 pounds.

IMG_0012.jpg.8a191d306ecd415180e69d423d9

Started to make some slices.

IMG_0014.jpg.b7fd1a7003393fe6992031da9f5

In the Kalbi marinade they go.  Smells very nice!!  Stay tuned

Here are the results.  Buying this again.  Is it the same as flanken style cut short ribs?  No.  Is this cut of meat, marinaded as good as most steaks?  Yes!!!  Very tender.  Now to be fair to the cut of meat [ pectoral], it is very lean and the short ribs as we know have more fat content.  However, this cut needs to be marinated and the price is half of any steak you can buy except for Chuck eye's, but still lower.  It is about prep work and how you prepare it.  I will get this cut again and make it the same way.  Here are some pics.  good luck.

IMG_0020.jpg.4a6390315e5f932be37c6b30d10

Right off the grill!!

IMG_0024.jpg.5e1577b640ac8cf6f09f1828b72

You can see how it's done.  Very tender but you have to pay attention when doing this over direct heat.  I did have a balance between the beer and paying attention.

IMG_0026.jpg.c640fadf8ee081c7002c56fa3c5

Had some jasmine brown rice to go along with the meat.  Notice the red pepper flakes in the rice along with soy sauce and sesame oil.  Great meal.