• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bday ideas for the Mrs.

Don't know where to post this one but looking for ideas for the better half's b-day gift.  She hasn't been overly active in fishing and hunting but has shown some interest in taking the sports up in the future.  Otherwise we have a new camper and live the cabin life all summer.  Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!! I have two weeks left for her b-day, the kids b-day and the new baby should be here any day now.  March is not shaping up to be a cheap month...

don't get her anything for hunting and fishing, get her a girl gift.  I assume she's pregnant unless you are adopting.  If she's pregnant get her something to make her life easier.  Although she loves her kid a break from being a mom would be somewhere in the gift.

1 hour ago, leechlake said:

don't get her anything for hunting and fishing, get her a girl gift.  I assume she's pregnant unless you are adopting.  If she's pregnant get her something to make her life easier.  Although she loves her kid a break from being a mom would be somewhere in the gift.

That sounds like a great idea.  Something a little frivolous.   Spa day?  Massage, mani pedi, something like that?  I don't know what your budget is but something like that.   Or some shopping in big city with money not part of regular budget.  A special event like one of those touring broadway shows in Minneapolis, with a dinner or something.  ?

Or some jewelry is usually appreciated... The good stuff.   Even one of those kids birthstone deals....Or some diamond ear rings. 

Thanks all,

I've just recently gotten her a few spa days just to ease the pregnancy pains and what not.  She's done a few shows over the last few months and Jewelry isn't much her thing.  I was thinking maybe something to make life a little more comfortable in the camper up north but I'm pretty new to the trailer game so not to sure whats needed.  I recently got her a rocker glider chair for feeding the baby up there...  Anything else you guys can think of that women appreciate camping?  By camping we will also have full time power, water and hooked to septic so not really limited by much more than you would be at a cabin.

Thanks!

does she like tea or coffee?   Fancy coffee beans, fancy loose leaf tea, or something for convenience...  a coffee maker and grinder, an electric kettle to boil water, a keurig and some nice k cups.  A vacuum insulated carafe.  

Or food....  Chocolate or other fancy candy. 

As for jewelry not being her thing.....  Maybe it is just me, but I don't think I have known a woman who would turn up her nose at a piece of diamond jewelry.   Depends on the budget however.  

Or, how about a house cleaning service, "cleaning lady" or whatever works.  Maybe once a month or every couple weeks.   Comes in, cleans the floors, changes the beds, dust vacuum, etc.  ? 

Just throwing things out, don't know the budget or anything.   

Does she have any hobbies?    Listen to music on her phone?  

1 minute ago, delcecchi said:

does she like tea or coffee?   Fancy coffee beans, fancy loose leaf tea, or something for convenience...  a coffee maker and grinder, an electric kettle to boil water, a keurig and some nice k cups.  A vacuum insulated carafe.  

Or food....  Chocolate or other fancy candy. 

As for jewelry not being her thing.....  Maybe it is just me, but I don't think I have known a woman who would turn up her nose at a piece of diamond jewelry.   Depends on the budget however.  

Or, how about a house cleaning service, "cleaning lady" or whatever works.  Maybe once a month or every couple weeks.   Comes in, cleans the floors, changes the beds, dust vacuum, etc.  ? 

Just throwing things out, don't know the budget or anything.   

Does she have any hobbies?    Listen to music on her phone?  

Ha this is my problem.  No to coffee or tea... Chocolate yeah but budget could be 100 could be 400 depending on how much I think she will like it.  I have been told in the past if I spend to much on jewelry it goes back to the store for a refund ha!  She is pretty practical where that is concerned.  Cant wear most earings and doesn't like much for rings.  I already do a lot of the cleaning since I like knowing where stuffs at.  Hobbies are pretty much anything craft related.  My issues are 1. I know absolutely nothing about crafts and don't have a creative bone in my body where that's concerned and 2. We have an entire room filled with craft stuff in what I could only describe as a very loosely organized chaos so I have now idea what most of it is or where its at or if we have it... Maybe I'll look into some kind of crafting class... Thanks for digging!

Boys, boys, boys ...... listen up now.

Forget the arts and crafts stuff. 2 kids, including a newborn ? ... no time !!!

Chocolate is for Valentines Day.

A "making her life easier camping" gift ? ... Bah Humbug, NewsFlash ... you should be doing that anyways, and not as a "gift"

For heavens sake, don't get her anything to do with your hobbies, ie fishing, etc.

Most woman aren't comfortable with another doing their housework. Would much rather simply have YOU pitching in more. Falls into the "that's a gift for you" catagory.

So ... here's my recomendation. It's practical. It's attractive. It's stylish. It's a classic. It's American made. It's a quality product thru and thru. She'll use it every single day. Every woman wants one. Every woman needs one. But .... and this is big .... it's something a budget conscious woman with a young family is likely to be hesitant to buy for herself. Because it would seem selfish. It's a gift that says "This is just for you. You deserve it. And I put some thought into it." And here's a nice little bonus .... 2-3 years from now, you can gift her a new one.

http://www.stonemountainhandbags.com/hampton/hampton-multicompartment-hobo

It will set you back 140 bucks. 10% discount for 1st time customers makes it 126. Free shipping. If your budget allows you to go alittle extra, get a matching wallet.

I promise you, she'll LOVE IT !!!!!!!

PS ... you can't go wrong with black as your color choice.

5 minutes ago, DrJill said:

Boys, boys, boys ...... listen up now.

Forget the arts and crafts stuff. 2 kids, including a newborn ? ... no time !!!

Chocolate is for Valentines Day.

A "making her life easier camping" gift ? ... Bah Humbug, NewsFlash ... you should be doing that anyways, and not as a "gift"

For heavens sake, don't get her anything to do with your hobbies, ie fishing, etc.

Most woman aren't comfortable with another doing their housework. Would much rather simply have YOU pitching in more. Falls into the "that's a gift for you" catagory.

So ... here's my recomendation. It's practical. It's attractive. It's stylish. It's a classic. It's American made. It's a quality product thru and thru. She'll use it every single day. Every woman wants one. Every woman needs one. But .... and this is big .... it's something a budget conscious woman with a young family is likely to be hesitant to buy for herself. Because it would seem selfish. It's a gift that says "This is just for you. You deserve it. And I put some thought into it." And here's a nice little bonus .... 2-3 years from now, you can gift her a new one.

It will set you back 140 bucks. 10% discount for 1st time customers makes it 126. Free shipping. If your budget allows you to go alittle extra, get a matching wallet.

Honestly... I think she would like that a lot but I have been told I'm not allowed to buy any bags purses or clothes for her or my children...Something about my lack of any and all things appropriate to do/wear in public. I may be able to get by with it being a suggestion from someone else though!  I'll noodle on it and if I don't come up with anything else tonight the order may just have to be placed!  Thanks!!

Yeah well .... you probably weren't buying items off the top shelf in the past were you ? :)

More likely the discount bin. :sick: And that ain't working.

Think of it this way ..... this isn't a Zebco, it's a top of the line St Croix.

You can't go wrong gifting a St Croix, can you ?

SHE WILL LOVE IT.

And it's becoming more and more clear, she deserves it. :D

Let us know how it works out, i.e. how awesome it was.

Your welcome.

27 minutes ago, DrJill said:

Black it is.  Putting in the order shortly... Can you pick out a wallet for me too??? :-)

I like this one

http://www.stonemountainhandbags.com/wallets/ludlow-large-tri-fold-wallet

And this is nice too. Bi-folds are simplier. Zip top is more secure. Zippered coin purse is a nice feature. Smooth leather matches the bag. And ,,,, it holds more credit cards. :lol: Maybe a better choice.

http://www.stonemountainhandbags.com/wallets/nubuck-large-zip-around-wallet

I'd be happy with either.

Edited by DrJill

40 minutes ago, DrJill said:

Yeah well .... you probably weren't buying items off the top shelf in the past were you ? :)

More likely the discount bin. :sick: And that ain't working.

Think of it this way ..... this isn't a Zebco, it's a top of the line St Croix.

You can't go wrong gifting a St Croix, can you ?

SHE WILL LOVE IT.

And it's becoming more and more clear, she deserves it. :D

Let us know how it works out, i.e. how awesome it was.

Your welcome.

Top shelf is for liquor... Kohls 90% off rack and fleet farm is for clothes!  And I have never even heard of this brand until now if that tells you anything...

The 90% off rack ?  Good Lord man !!!!

Have some smelling salts handy when she opens it. Poor woman might faint.

All her friends are going to hear about this gift. Prepare to be a SuperStar.

And a shining example to others ... "Why can't you be more like Moon Lake ?" ;)

Edited by DrJill

Dooney and Burke or Coach or Michael Kors or up from there. , when it comes to purses.   I personally would never dream of buying a purse for my wife, unless she gave me a picture or pointed at it in the store.  

And the women I know don't mind at all having someone cleaning.   they don't really get that much of a bang out of mopping floors, cleaning toilets, scrubbing sinks and counters dusting, vacuuming and making beds.  Maybe some women feel guilty like they should be able to do it and it is their job, but they get over it, especially with a baby hanging around.  

Del that is exactly right.  "they don't get that much of a bang out of mopping floors" made me laugh out loud.  

We've on and off had people clean our house over the years and I can tell you the wife isn't hanging her head in shame when two gals spend 4 hours cleaning our house for pay instead of her having to do it.  

couple home runs I hit had animal fur involved.  One was a mink coat and one was a leather coat with a fox collar or something.  They were big time events of some sort otherwise that wouldn't have happened but she especially loves the one she can wear when it isn't some big time event.  Then again she's a right wing zealot that isn't afraid of killing an animal for that reason so you've got to know your audience.

She bought me a dress coat one time and I think it ended up in a garage sale eventually.  I looked like Ward Cleaver in it and I'm more of a Al Lindner kind of guy.  

5 hours ago, leechlake said:

Del that is exactly right.  "they don't get that much of a bang out of mopping floors" made me laugh out loud.  

We've on and off had people clean our house over the years and I can tell you the wife isn't hanging her head in shame when two gals spend 4 hours cleaning our house for pay instead of her having to do it.  

Yeah, sombody said their wife wouldn't want some stranger cleaning. 

2 people for 4 hours? You must have a heck of a house or you are dirtier than I am. :D

I wouldn't mind the cleaning but think she would see that as more of a gift to me ha ha!  She has zero problem killing animals but honestly cant see her ever being happy about me purchasing clothes for her.  It would not end well for either of us.  I build stuff and fix stuff.. She decorates and buys clothes.  We stick to what we know...