• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to start an engine that has sat for twenty years

So I just got the opportunity to buy a low mileage '78 Calais from my old high school friend.  Ran great when he parked it but the engine hasn't turned for twenty years. Aside from the obvious fluid changes, fresh plugs, etc, what would be the best procedure to free up and rotate the engine so I don't cause more damage?

3 hours ago, Steve Bakken said:

So I just got the opportunity to buy a low mileage '78 Calais from my old high school friend.  Ran great when he parked it but the engine hasn't turned for twenty years. Aside from the obvious fluid changes, fresh plugs, etc, what would be the best procedure to free up and rotate the engine so I don't cause more damage?

Take the plugs out and shoot some oil in each cyl and let it sit a while before you try turning it over. Leave the plugs out so it turns over easier without back pressure and use a socket and breaker bar on the drive shaft end if you can get at it and turn it a few times by hand first. You may end up having to change a few oil gaskets once you get it running like valve covers and oil pan.

Good Luck.

Take ALL the plugs out, pour thin oil down the cylinders (like 10w OR penetrating oil) and let sit at least half a day. While that's sitting, take off the distributor cap and blow/clean it out and the HEI ...bound to be moisture in there, usually is after sitting. Leave the plugs out, (will help blow out any moisture when cranked over) and hit the starter 5-6 times in short "bursts" to make sure it's turning over. You don't want to crank the heck out of it right away. Take it from there..that's the old school way we always did it. Good luck.

1978 most likely still had a carburetor,  unless it was stored/drained properly, you will more than likely have to take that off and see if there's anything left worth cleaning!   Accelerator pump and gaskets etc. will be all dried out. Fuel in the gas tank will most likely be garbage too so you will likely have to drain that and flush it some! 

Expect to have failures of belts, hoses, water pump and more once it's running. 

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Take ALL the plugs out, pour thin oil down the cylinders (like 10w OR penetrating oil) and let sit at least half a day. While that's sitting, take off the distributor cap and blow/clean it out and the HEI ...bound to be moisture in there, usually is after sitting. Leave the plugs out, (will help blow out any moisture when cranked over) and hit the starter 5-6 times in short "bursts" to make sure it's turning over. You don't want to crank the heck out of it right away. Take it from there..that's the old school way we always did it. Good luck.

Ya like Leech~~ Said!  ;)

I'd just start the thing and start driving around.  I wonder if it has a wing window and if the horn starts beeping it you go over 75 mph or something.  Lap belts in the back probably too.  What a gem!

On 3/10/2016 at 9:54 PM, Steve Bakken said:

What size motor is in it? I would get it start, wash it up throw some big wheels on it and run it around the cities with a For Sale sign on it! :lol:

index.jpg

I think I would rent a trailer and bring it home and play with it over the summer.  You need to do a lot before it will run and trying to do it on a March afternoon will just cause you to rush and get frustrated.  Just accept that you aren't going to drive it home and deal with the trailer thing on Saturday so you're good to go on Sunday.  Bring a winch or a comealong or 4 big guys to get it on the trailer.

Yes that's the plan. Im not even going to attempt to start it when we go out there. Too many safety issues with tires, brakes, etc, not to mention doing more damage to the engine. This is a project car for my twelve-year-old and me so it will be a slow, patient project we will be doing after we trailer it home

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Steve Bakken said:

Yes that's the plan. Im not even going to attempt to start it when we go out there. Too many safety issues with tires, brakes, etc, not to mention doing more damage to the engine. This is a project car for my twelve-year-old and me so it will be a slow, patient project we will be doing after we trailer it home

Well when you get around to turning it over please let us know how it went. :)

Just a quick update. Got it home and pulled the plugs. Put a 50/50 of brake fluid and trans fluid down each plug hole.  Came back after an hour (I should have let it sit for a couple days but curiosity got the best of me) grabbed the bottom pully with my bare hands and it turned over just like butter. Letting it soak some more now while turning it every couple days, just to make sure the bores are nice and clean.  Here's a pic of when we pulled it out of the guy's barn and one after my son cleaned it up  

Screenshot_2016-03-13-14-21-49.png

20160403_191643.jpg