• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice out gills

rundrave

For some of us ice out is here, or almost here.

Whats your strategy for ice out gills?

I have been fishing a lake that was killed off a few years ago. The long term affect has proved to be a success as I found some great gills in it this winter. I was also able to get a lot of scouting in this winter and found some tree piles and some other structures that were holding fish.

Before ice went bad around shore water was really dirty from run off otherwise it was very clear. Max depth of this lake is 26 ft. It is an old creek that was dammed up so it has a natural channel that snakes along the bottom of the lake following the old creek as well as the road bed.

All the edges of the lake  have sharp drop offs so it goes from very shallow to 15' to 20' drop offs within 20' to 30' from shore.

Where would you target gills after ice out? Deep or shallow and what areas would you focus on and what presentations would you use?

I would look for shallow water say a foot deep to three feet deep in a protected bay or  north facing spot where the sun can warm that water up. They will be in there feeding on tiny bugs.  I use a flu flu jig in white or yellow with a tiny chunk of gulp earth worm. About the size of a euro lava.  Set your float to half the depth of water or to start. Move your bait closer to the bottom if needed. Do not use to big of float as it can spook these fish in shallow water

Here is a map of the lake the top is North. The dam is on the far left (west)

The longer bay in the middle is the boat ramp so I am thinking the smaller bay with the pier on the NW side and the bigger bay on the NE may be spots to hit.

lake.jpg