• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which unit for mapping?

coombia21

I am looking to get a 10-12 inch screen to use strictly for creating maps on lakes that either do not have a depth maps or the ones that have poor maps. I already have 2 lowrance has-7s in the boat and run one in the ranger for ice fishing so I am familiar with the lowrance systems. I am looking at both the bird and lowrances. Can someone help me better understand how these systems work. I like the lowrance but do not want to have my maps public with everyone and do not understand the systems. Can someone with experience with either unit chime in and help me pick out a unit. 

Thanks

There's a lot of info for that request. Many youtube videos. Also check out Dr Sonar for help and DVD's. As for not sharing, best bet may be not updating your lake chi unfortunately.. 

On 3/9/2016 at 7:50 AM, Genofish said:

the new Hummingbird units are capable of mapping. The Onix and Helix have Autochart live, allows you to map the lake as you drive the boat. 9 1012 inch models. I have ran Lowrance for years but seriously looking at the Hummingbirds for this feature.

Don't forget about the smart strike option on the new helix units as well.

Since you already have lowrance units, I would stick with them. The concern over the mapping being "public" you can make the maps you upload private, but I believe there are limits in the number of them you can do within a year for free. There is a paid version (do not recall cost) that will allow unlimited uploads, map creates, etc and will keep everything private.

You can learn more about it here: http://www.gofreemarine.com/insight-genesis/community/