• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Revo Toro Winch

I already own a Daiwa Saltist 30 6.1:1 for burning large bucktails and an Abu Ambassador 5.3:1 for mid to smaller sized baits and want to put something on my 3rd rod that I can throw bigger baits and bucktails without straining my hand, wrist, and forearm as much. Ive decided on the Abu Revo Toro Winch 4.6:1 reel for my next musky reel. My only question is whether to get the 50 or 60 size? Can anyone give me the pros and cons for each to help me make my decision? Thanks in advance for any input.

You do realize that the Winch is a low gear ratio reel, so considered very slow among most reels today.  Its main purpose, or at least most the people I know that bought them, was to use on dbl ten bucktails to reduce the retrieve resistance.  I'm going to say that you already have that reel in the Saltist - just reel slower for slower applications, but the resistance will be nothing.  Not sure what other large baits you had in mind, but if they include bulldawgs, etc, then because of the poor line pickup I simply would not recommend the Winch.  If you do insist on getting this reel, then by all means unless you have very small hands, go with the 60 size with the bigger spool, and put as much line on it as you can so that you at least gain a little speed.  That's my thoughts anyway.

Yes I do realize the Saltist 30 can do everything the winch can and then some, but I guess the main thing I'm looking for is a reel that can handle large crankbaits, large bulldawgs, large jerkbaits, and large blades that doesn't make me feel like my forearm and wrist want to fall off after a couple hours. I realize the line pickup is slow, but I don't think I can throw a higher ratio low profile reel say 6:1 to 7:1 ish without burning the gears out after a season or two. Or am I mistaken?

Let's back up a bit and help me to understand your like or dislike or use of the Saltist. That is your big blade reel.  Are you saying you don't care to use it except for burning big blades only?  Because aside from big blades, then the Winch would not be my choice for the other baits you mention.  And you certainly don't need to go to 6 or 7:1 ratios for those other baits, but you do want it faster than a winch.  Bulldawgs, pounders, and jerkbaits no matter how big have very little resistance on the retrieve.  You don't need to go with a low speed reel to feel comfortable retrieving them.  Same for many crankbaits depending on the lip and specific bait you're talking about, though some will be high resistance.  I would not consider a Lexa, I've worked on a disproportionately higher percentage of those.  If inded the Saltist is your problem and you don't like it, I would consider a Revo Toro S size 60, or a Revo Toro Beast 4.9 size 60, with the power handle, though that is not as comfortable to use for jerkbaits.  That's where I'd use your other ABU.