• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Schwinn AirDyne Bike

Ufatz

37 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Don't worry about it.

Sorta like you did when you were told to not be a "simpleton".  

The doc is always good for a laugh when somebody posts something he doesn't like.

Edited by bobbymalone

1 minute ago, bobbymalone said:

Sorta like you did when you were told to not be a "simpleton".  

The doc is always good for a laugh when somebody posts something he doesn't like.

Yup. Gonna have to change my name. :whistle:

I think its more when somebody posts something that has nothing to do with topic OR their reasoning is one of a simpleton's, such as: "somethings better than nothing"  whats next "my daddy did it and his daddy did it too"?

If you bring a worthy viewpoint than I would respect the fact that you have something to say.  

Hey Bobby, did you cover your name call so you wouldnt be written up? ha ha, youre good for a laugh. lol, what an Oscar Meyer...

Post some more personal message content in a health forum, please.  I like how you go the extra length to dig at me.  Makes me feel wanted

Names have no effect on me Bobby, you and your feeling mean nothing to me either.  I choose not to live in others reality as most people are simpletons, you know, the type of people to lack any sort of substance and dig into others on private messages then share bits of them on public forms.  You know, like little kids telling inside jokes, thinking theyre cooler for it.  haha, go on with your bad selves

Edited by DrJuice1980

Just because you're an engineer doesn't mean you know everything. In fact that attitude is what most likely has affected Del's ability to learn anything. It typical baby boomer generation attitude.  You'll take life insurance information from the Quaker Oats guy, mortgage advice from the Fonz, but totally discredit a branch of medicine because you had 1 bad/questionable experience. That is what make a simpleton Leech.  Why respect anybody nowadays when nothing is shown? (If you look back you can see who replied to who. You really expect me to care about this guy feelings?)

This is argueement is about needing to support any type of exercise with the proper diet.  Del's attitude is change nothing but add a run, walk, jog in and it's good for you. And that is simply not true. To facilitate a change you must create a need for change.

So Del, if I cant get my muscles to work for me and I'm deteriorating the cartilage in the medial aspect of my knee, I've only had Cheetos and Mountain Dew for "nourishment" and I'm about to jog 3 miles.  Do you honestly think there's a sliver of benefit in there for me?  Something is better than nothing, right?  Seems like a nightmare run that your body will require days to recover from. During that recovery your muscles will develop a shortened state and the duration they are lacking proper function, compensatory actions will develop, causing further damage to the knee. Better than nothing right? Or the extreme stress on your cardio vascular system from not properly preparing for the run. I could list a lot more too. Starting to see the picture?

Edited by DrJuice1980

If you consider Chiropractic, the straight form, a branch of medicine that shows how gullible you are.      You are pretty cavalier about attributing ignorance to others.   Examine the log in your eye before pointing out the mote in another's. 

I guess I will go sit on the couch some more, since I am sure my exercise mechanics, choice of exercise, and diet are not adequate from what you have said.   /sarcasm. 

It's amazing our ancestors were able to move...  Typical scare mongering Chiropractic tactic.  Come on, do you really believe diseases can be cured by manipulating the spine? 

If there's a deficiency in a crucial organ and the signal for that organ to function properly is compromised in the spine, impinging a nerve, would you rather get treatment for that organ or identify the origin of the problem at start treatment there?  Would you rather take drugs that have side effects ranging from diarrhea to death or attempt to bring back proper communication to that organ/extremity/muscle/etc?  I understand certain medications and procedures are required.  I think you're false though in regards to who pulls out the scare tactic routine.  It's in your head, your mentality of the big picture.  Money is drawn out of every paycheck you've earned for the last few decades to pay for medical insurance.  You've been sold the idea that it's the gold standard for your health care. You go to a chiro and feel like you're "sold" on something while you go to an MD and his words are gospel.  "My Doc says..."  In most cases Doc has been brought up to feed you medications to treat symptoms while the body attempts to heal itself, like numbing you to the damage while you fix yourself.  I like the approach of finding the why and trying to find answers that will assist in the body's natural recuperative abilities. The human body is an amazing, resilient machine, go look at a meth head and see for yourself-how's that guy still alive?  Either way you chose whatever you believe works better, you should agree that we should have the choice on what you seek for care. If the choice isn't there than advancements in care will slow dramatically.  Ever look at it like youre a car and you're required to buy a warranty for yourself?  Something breaks down, mechanic opens book, knows step 4 will fix you but has to follow steps 1-3 first to try, all the while you're left with a check engine light and a couple misfires.  Struggling to get by.  Meanwhile shop pulls warranty parts and labor on steps 1-3 and the employees are paid and the place stays in business.  And it's a revolving door...

Thoughts? 

Thank you for not locking thread

Edited by DrJuice1980

With respect to Chiropractic, I am with the scientific method.   I am unaware of any studies confirming the theory that disease is caused by small misalignments in the vertebrae, or that spinal manipulation can cure disease.  

I would be interested in reading them if anyone is aware of some.  Until then I will consider that theory to be invalid, and practitioners of it misguided.

I don't fully discredit it, but I do think some of the new agey stuff that the chiropractor can cure everything is probably a bit suspect.  You never know though, the lack of evidence isn't necessarily because there isn't a link.

In my own field of science, if you would have told me 15 years ago that the bacteria that causes strep throat could play a role in a disease with tourette's like symptoms, I'd say you were crazy.  But it looks more and more like that's a real thing.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANDAS  Then there is stuff like this http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/germs-gut-may-affect-autism-study-finds-n107451

The wife, her brother, and her dad all swear by the chiropractor to fix their back problems.  So either something is working or the placebo effect goes a long way.  Wife comes home happy, I ain't gonna question it.

Edited by bobbymalone

These threads are always fun.  The good Dr never lets me down.

In a shocking turn of events I do agree with the DR in some ways but I also agree with the rest of you, if thats even possible.  I think the issue is that you guys are using different measurements when determining if exercise is beneficial.

I think the DR is getting to the point that if you exercise you won't see results unless you also change your diet.  I think he takes it a little further by implying that your exercise is pointless which may not be entirely true but he seems to be looking at it from a results standpoint and measuring a true change.  In that case I'd agree, you probably won't see any real results or create any sort of meaningful change without addressing the diet issue.  I've see the same fat guy at the gym for the last 3 years that proves this point.  He keeps plugging away on the cardio machines and is dripping in sweat but he looks the exact same as he did 3 years ago (I haven't tracked his mileage, speed, blood pressure, etc so maybe he's had gains in those areas but he's still fat).

I think the rest of you are saying that even without changing the diet a little exercise is still a good thing.  I would also agree with that.  The exercise probably won't lead to weight loss or any visible changes.  However, if you eat 3000 calories a day and then start burning 500 of them through exercise you've done at least some small amount of good.  You've done a little to help strengthen the heart and muscles which are good things and at the very least you've slowed your demise a little which I think we can agree is a good thing.  

Now going from couch potato eating 4000 calories a day to trying to do a 10 mile run or start benching 300 lbs is not a good thing and any minimal gain you may see will certainly be offset by the intense stress you've put your body through when your body is not yet able to handle it.  However that is very different then going out for a brisk walk, short jog, a bike ride, or a swim. Its a matter of being smart with your exercise choices and not doing something that will over tax your body.