• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land gps

gac12

First off I am not sure I am asking this question in the right forum but any info would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking at getting a Public Land GPS prior to heading out of state this spring on a few turkey hunts and most importantly before I head out west this fall.  My question is have any of you had experience good or bad with these and if so which brand or which one would you recommend?  I want something that accurate so I can rest assured that I am not tress passing and actually am on public land when I hunt a new piece of property for the first time.  Thanks for your guys help! 

Try the HUNT App from onXMaps. I cannot say how accurate they are for other states, but I found it accurate in MN.

It is an app you can install on your phone. There is a free trial version so you could certainly check it out prior or time it just right during one of your trips.

Thanks for the responses guys I will definitely check out the onxmaps and K outdoor products.  Clown is the K outdoor products on your cell phone as well.  Only thing that worries me is that I might need to get a handheld gps device because I can't count on cell service.

You don't need cell service because your phone will still have view of the satellite. Once you download the app/maps to your phone, they reside there, it isn't like google maps or something like that, the data actually resides on the device so cell service isn't required.

There are a lot of maps available for Garmin handhelds out there, you can run the Onx, Kirsch Outdoor Products, Garmin HuntView and also free maps that are available for download from gpsfiledepot. Some States also build free maps for Garmin handhelds but I'm not sure about property boundaries.

With the Onx and Garmin HuntView you can get multiple layers of data such as Topo, Satellite imagery, road data, I don't think the property lines can be done in a combo view but I could be wrong on that. Garmin also adds a lot of other info such as Points of Interest on their mapping chips.

I've got the MNTraxx for my Garmin and it works well.

Garmin Basecamp is a great piece of software for pre-planning a hunting trip with you maps, setting waypoints and backing up your GPS data.

Mike

15 hours ago, MN Mike said:

There are a lot of maps available for Garmin handhelds out there, you can run the Onx, Kirsch Outdoor Products, Garmin HuntView and also free maps that are available for download from gpsfiledepot. Some States also build free maps for Garmin handhelds but I'm not sure about property boundaries.

With the Onx and Garmin HuntView you can get multiple layers of data such as Topo, Satellite imagery, road data, I don't think the property lines can be done in a combo view but I could be wrong on that. Garmin also adds a lot of other info such as Points of Interest on their mapping chips.

I've got the MNTraxx for my Garmin and it works well.

Garmin Basecamp is a great piece of software for pre-planning a hunting trip with you maps, setting waypoints and backing up your GPS data.

Mike

15 hours ago, MN Mike said:

Like said, Garmin has a lot of options and seems to be the leader out there. Many free downloads( forgot about GPS files depot) and a plethora of software to purchase.

I don't Koutdoors offers a phone app...may need to check out their page.

If you plan on out west hunting or "breaking the trail," I'd recommend getting a half way descent handheld GPS and save your phone battery for emergencies.

Great info guys its really appreciated.  I was already leaning toward getting a handheld but they very so much in price and in  features offered that I was unsure which unit would be the best for "breaking the trail" or just keeping me on the land that I should be on and out of places that could get me into trouble.

It's tough to beat the GPSMap 64s, it accepts MicroSD cards ( all listed below do also ), has a built in compass and barometric pressure sensor. You should find those around $250

You can get a GPSMap 64 for less money if you don't need the compass and barometric sensor.

I wouldn't waste my money if I was you on a GPSMap 64st, that comes with a Topo map built in but your looking for more detail than that will provide.

Others to look at are the Etrex 20 and 30 ( smaller screens than the 64s and cheaper ), Oregon 600 or 650 ( touchscreens ) or a GPSMap 78s, those float when dropped in the lake :crazy:

Garmin makes some very nice, user friendly interfaces no matter which one you choose.

One tip if you do get a handheld, plan on running Energizer Advanced or Ultimate Lithium Ion batteries, they work best in these devices.

Good Luck!

Mike

OnXmaps has an app for your cell phone. They have a process built into the app where you save the maps you expect to use. Once the map is saved or "cached" as the app calls it, you no longer need cell service. Your phone GOS works without cell service and the map is saved. 

I have the OnX maps on my phone and have used it in 3 states. It works very well and works well without service. I used it in the BWCA of MN and in the backcountry of Wyoming. Great product and very reliable. A little expensive for an app, but you can buy the app every year for 10 years and it is cheaper than a GPS let a lone a GPS and then buying maps. 

I as well run a MN traxx+ on a Garmin. Like he was saying the Garmin base camp is awesome it is nice to have a big screen on your computer to make a plan of attack on what you are going to do when you get out there. This helps me since I have a etrex 30 with a smaller screen. I don't need to zoom out much because I studied the map put in waypoints and made different routes. Made back up hunting spots.

Some day what I really, really, really would like to see and have is a GPS ran with a satellite or Google Earth type real map. There have been so many times that I have been 4 wheeling, Dual Sport riding or Snowmobiling out in the middle of no where with a GPS that tells where I am but shows up as being in the middle of a big green blob back ground. I know some GPS's have better or newer back ground maps, but it sure would be nice to see what is around the area for real and not just a little old logging road line on the map. Something that you could also switch from season background to see the same area in summer, fall or winter would be great as well. It would be great to find new hunting spots by knowing where wood lines start and end, field edges etc. It would be endless for uses with a zoom in and out. I just hate some of the newer bright kiddy looking Fluorescent color maps. Let my wife find the Mall with that. I want a real map!

staticmap.png

Edited by leech~~

Thats pretty much what Garmin Birdseye, Garmin Huntview Maps or the Onx maps give you. I'm not sure where they all get their imagery data from but I know Garmin's has been very good and accurate. In the pic below, the blue triangle is your current position. With Birdseye, you have to pre-define the area you want imagery of and you can also define how much resolution you want.

Garmin-BirdsEye.jpg.9b30b06e43c3681d92fc

Situational awareness is a great thing and like you said, sometimes it would be good to know what's around, especially when you are out hunting.

Garmin Huntview can give you different data ( Land ownership, range lines, topo, satellite imagery, road data and more ) in one map as shown below, you select what you want.

screenshots.png.c931557cd0e4d622bea90436

I haven't played with the Onx maps so I can't tell you much about them but they look similar to what Garmin has.

As for seasonal displays, I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Mike

Edited by MN Mike
doubled up image

The Onxmaps has several base maps you can view. I typically save the aerial photo maps and a second layer that is a dual topo/trails maps. SImilar to what most forest service maps look like. Its great for following topo features and trails and then switch to the aerial to check out terrain features such as tree lines or water holes. Its a great combo accomplished by the same app.