• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost a mentor today :(

Sorry to hear of your loss. Have lost several of the mentor types myself and while it's part of getting older, it doesn't mean one has to like it. Can never take away those great memories though and I like the idea of passing that spirit on to another generation.

Neighbor, it was a tough day in our outdoors community.  He taught me so much about trapping and calling.  In fact, he taught me basically everything I know about it.  To me, there is not a better hand caller for predators out there.

After I got the word he passed.  I jumped in the truck to check the traps and clear the mind.  First set I got to had a nice yote.  This one's for you!!  RIP

coyote.jpeg

I pulled on the wools a couple times last week after work. Hand calls in my pocket and shotgun across my lap same as I was taught years ago. In all the times we hunted I don't think a rifle ever left the case. Bring the shot gun and get them close was the name of the game. Caught a glimpse of a grey fox tip toeing the opposite edge of the lake and remembered what he told me the very first time I sat in a deadfall tree with him. "Red fox will come in and try to circle us and find that rabbit and should give us a shot. Grey Fox will run up this tree, and try to take it out of your lap" 

Sorry for your loss.  Definitely tough to lose someone who has had such a strong and positive impact on your life, no doubt.  I've lost a few people like this and it's sure a rough thing to deal with.  I'll include you and his family in my prayers. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, Neighbor_guy said:

I will never forget the things he taught me. Not only about hunting but also about life. I will do my part to pass his knowledge on to my kid or others who I take out in the outdoors.

And that is the finest tribute a man could ask for. If someone says that very thing about me some day, I'll have lived a meaningful life.

Condolences, Neighbor Guy.